Status
Not open for further replies.

GTXperience

Orig Stealth Mod
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
After much deliberation and going back and forth for the past 3+ years, we have decided not to go ahead with the 1969 Dart WSS (Western Sport Special) build. Joyce is happy with the '71 Butterscotch Swinger and that is fine with me since it eliminates this build so I can continue working on my other long term projects. This is a rolling project and needs a complete restoration/restification but has a good solid foundation.

The Dart is an A78-coded Western Sport Special which was basically a marketing package for the California market. Only 1500 WSS Darts were made & they were only available in 1969. All of the WSS cars were either Slant 6s or 318s. This one originally came with a Slant 6/904 but is just a roller now. This is originally a manual brake, drum car with power steering. Fender tag mounted in the usual place.

Throughout the years, all of the WSS Darts I had seen were mainly shades of greens, browns and whites. This one originally was ordered as a B5 blue car with two tone blue interior (the same interior code as a '69 GTS). This was confirmed by Dante's Auto Parts. The Dart is in primer but looks like it was shot over the original B5. I see several areas where the B5 is coming through. The engine compartment and underneath the trunklid are still in its original B5.

This Dart also orignally came with a white vinyl top. It is no longer there and the roof, dutchman panels and rear window filler panel areas are all solid. The vinyl top moulding holes (as well as the bodyside moulding holes) have been filled with filler. Easy enough to remove or properly weld up.

Rust-wise, the body, pans and rails are in very good shape. The front driver fender has been pushed in as if someone stuck their behind into it. It needs some attention to get it straight again. The doors have the same kind of push-in (just a little more intense). Because of this, I picked up a complete pair of doors that are straight and rock solid to replace the originals. The driver side striker will need to be replaced. I am including a striker/post section from a '68 Dart.
The trunk floor/spare tire well is in overall in good shape but there are a few small groupings of pinholes/holes. The trunklid has some dings/small dents on the back panel and there is a little binding on the passengers side hinge (probably fixed with new nylon rod slides).

Interior: As mentioned above, the interior was originally two-tone blue (again, the same code as the '69 GTS). The interior was somewhat gutted when we purchased the car. We have picked up a rear seat (which came out of the WSS Dart that we bought the doors from) a front split benchseat (from a FABO member), a pair of benchseat seat tracks and a very nice blue steering wheel purchased from another FABO member. Note: I am using the steering wheel that came in the Dart in my Barracuda. Most soft parts (headliner, carpet, seat upholstery, door panels, dashpad, etc.) are going to have to be restored/purchased and installed. The Dart interior does come with its original blue dash assembly, kick panels, seatbelts, door panels (one front panel mismatched), window cranks, armrest bases/armrests, sill plates, sunvisors, etc. The extra doors also have additonal parts on them in very good condition as backups or replacements (see pics). Blue rear window mouldings are also included.

Mouldings: The bodyside moulding is missing but I have purchased the vinyl top moulding (incl. the a-pillar mouldings) and the drip rail moulding. I have misc. pieces for the front & rear window mouldings but need to doublecheck what I have. I have two of the wheel lip mouldings. The lower rocker panel spears are on the car and are in really nice shape (a few clips may be needed to properly secure them). The hood moulding is good but has two small dings.

Glass: All of the glass is in good shape except for the front windshield (which is cracked). There is a little primer overspray on some of the glass (nothing that can't be corrected with a little #000 steel wool). The extra doors also have very nice glass in them and they roll up and down smoothly.

Bumpers: The bumpers are pretty straight and are nice for a daily driver. There is some rust on the front (will try a little #000 steel wool on it and report back).

Grill/Headlight Bezels/Parking Light Assembies: The grill is nice but has a small area on the upper pass-side that needs a little straightening and one or two grille pieces disconnected but still there.. The parking light assemblies are in good shape. The side markers are all intact. The H/L bezels are in good shape but have a couple of small dings on the outer edges. (See optional parts (for additional cost) below. I have purchased additional grills and bezels that are in good condition.).

Tail light assemblies: The T/L assemblies are completely intact. The bezels have slight pitting in a few areas. I remember the lenses being ok but need to doublecheck. I remember some red tape in the area.

Engine Compartment: The engine compartment is a little dirty but wears its original B5 blue paint. All of the harnesses and most of the peripheral parts (ex. wiper motor, blower motor, horns, master cylinder, PS box, etc. are present).

Other additional parts included: gas tank, gas tank straps, gas tank filler neck, slant six radiator (recently serviced), spare tire/wheel, starter, alternator, coil & the PS unit and brackets, etc..

Other optional parts (for an additional cost): grilles (2), headlight bezels, a complete jack assembly, a complete rear window moulding set and a trunklid DODGE emblem.

The Dart comes with a Bill of Sale from the previous owner and myself (CA DMV BOS). There is back registration due on it. I will check the exact amount. This would apply to CA residents. I believe I can get a current title to satisfy an out-of-state DMV but need to doublecheck to see if it it feasible. Please contact me if this is of importance to you (because it will undoubtedly take extra time and perhaps additional funds).

Asking: $1500/BO. Delivery is also available within a 2 hour drive of 94015 for $1/mile or I can recommend other shippers for local/regional/nationwide delivery.

Note: I will be taking additional pics (mainly of the individual interior pieces) and posting them in the next few days. Hopefully, I have covered most of the important information on the Dart but I am sure I have missed one or two things. Feel free to PM with any questions you may have. Also, this is the first time I have posted this for sale and of course, FABO gets the first shot at it.

Lots of pics (almost 100) can be seen at:

http://cid-e4a65b9a22c33d59.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/Cars%20For%20Sale/1969%20Dart%202-dr%20WSS%20^5Western%20Sport%20Special^6

Note: You may have to copy and paste the above link if you can't click on it.

IMG_4039.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_4020.jpg

IMG_6853.jpg

Do you have any more info on that dart pictured? It is the same color scheme as a WSS that my mom drove in the mid 80s. Brings back some serious childhood memories. She can't remember if she sold it or junked it, but it left her hands ~1987, in San Francisco.

Here are some pics of a '69 WSS that I took at Spring Fling '08. It belonged to a very nice gal who was very fond of it.

My 69 dart came from L.A. was built there,looks like the same blue as yours.Mine came with drum brake, manual stearing,318,vinyl top.How does one know if it is a WSS car.I would like to know if mine was,and if so is it rare?

Those are cool.

I have always liked them because they were just a little different from other Darts (just like the Bengal editions).

Do you have any more info on that dart pictured? It is the same color scheme as a WSS that my mom drove in the mid 80s. Brings back some serious childhood memories. She can't remember if she sold it or junked it, but it left her hands ~1987, in San Francisco.

I know the gal's name who owns it and I may have here # still as well. That would be cool if it was your Mom's WSS.

Very Cool...Thanks for the lesson

You are welcome. There's additional info but I thought I wrote way more than enough ... for now. ;)

It's weird that the ad says 'Western Sports Special' but the sticker on the car in picture says 'Western Sport Special' . Notice the plural on 'Sport'.

I love the WSS, I had a challenger WSS years ago that I bought out of Yorba Linda,and even e-body owners would always ask me what the car was and if it was something i made up.That truly is the only car i ever regretted selling.Go-mango,White top,Burnt orange interior.

I love the WSS, I had a challenger WSS years ago that I bought out of Yorba Linda,and even e-body owners would always ask me what the car was and if it was something i made up.That truly is the only car i ever regretted selling.Go-mango,White top,Burnt orange interior.

Nice. That color combination was hard to come by (especially on a WSS Challenger). I would have loved to have that one. I am sure people thought that you did a little customizing on it. BTW: For those interested, while the WSS Dart was only built in '69, the WSS Challenger was only built in '70.

Although these are images of a '70, the exterior/interior color combination mimic what the '69 WSS is supposed to be (B5 blue exteror with a white vinyl top & two-tone blue interior).

javipic6024.jpg

javipic6029.jpg

Would be a great buy for someone!

It might be even more appealing after I get all of the interior/trim pieces images posted. It will give a better idea what else goes with the Dart.

My 69 dart came from L.A. was built there,looks like the same blue as yours.Mine came with drum brake, manual stearing,318,vinyl top.How does one know if it is a WSS car.I would like to know if mine was,and if so is it rare?

Snake, if you have your fender tag, look for the A78 (Western Sport Special) code on it. If I haven't mentioned it, I think most (if not all) of the WSS cars were built in the LA plant. BTW: I have always liked seeing pics of your '69 in progress. It was motivating for us.

Also, if you don't have a fender tag to check for the A78 code, the following is a list of what was included in the WSS package. Maybe you can compare the list to what yours came with.

-Dress Up Group (which was the A48 code and included: B-pillar mouldings, Upper Door Frame & Quarter Mouldings, Drip Rail Mouldings, Body Sill Mouldings, Wheel Lip Mouldings, Body Belt Mouldings, Body Side Mouldings or Vinyl Insert Body Side Mouldings and Grille Surround Mouldings)
-Carpets
-LH Outside Remote Mirror
-Cigar Lighter
-Body Sill Mouldings
-Wheel Lp Mouldings
-Woodgrain Sports Steering Wheel
-Vinyl Roof
-Wheel Covers (Class I)
-White or Red Sidewall Tires
-Western Sport Special decal

Yes, your post was an interesting and informative read. Thank-you and I hope it finds a great home.
Grassy

Thanks Grassy. I am kind of hoping that someone keeps it WSS-looking. I know that many of them over the years were turned into something else.

Hello Ben,

should I offer the car in the European Mopar Forum?
You are located in a privilege region, near coast and a international harbor.
Let me know!

Bye

Flo

Hello Ben,

should I offer the car in the European Mopar Forum?
You are located in a privilege region, near coast and a international harbor.
Let me know!

Bye

Flo

Flo, why not? Thanks for doing that. I know for a fact that the Mopar guys in the club and in the area in general are definitely not afraid to take on a project car.

If you want to include the '54 2-dr Ford Crestline Victoria as well, I will write something up for you. Thanks again.

OK!

What is your price of the Ford?
I'll post it too.

Let me know, if you receive the letter with the stickers! ;-)

Here are some additional parts from the Dart that go with it. Included are: kick panels, windlace, all front seat belts (rear belts are in the Dart), windshield wipers, interior moulding, gas filler tube seal, windshield washer nozzles/line, interior door handles, hood emblem, exterior emblems for sail panel area, vinyl top moulding (small pieces for A-pillar included) & driprail moulding. I will post more when I can get to them (ex. front windshield moulding pieces, split benchseat, etc.) in the garage.

IMG_4117.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg

IMG_4121.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg

Here are some optional pieces for an additional cost (like the additional grilles, headlamp bezels, etc. mentioned on page 1) for the new owner to consider: the semi-elusive Dodge trunklid emblem, rear window stainless steel moulding, new window fuzzies/weatherstripping, etc.).

IMG_4122.jpg

IMG_4124.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

IMG_4155.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back