1969 Dodge Dart Gt temp gauge and fuel gauge not woriking

-

mark herron

Reaction score
Could someone please help me to figure out where and how to start finding out why my fuel gauge and temp gauge does not work on my 1969 Dart. I don't know if it's the sending units or the instrument cluster itself. I don't really know where to start. If I can't fix the problem where should I take the car or just take out the instrument panel and have it rebuilt. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any and all help.

Try grounding the sending unit with a wire to the frame. If that doesn't work, odds are it's the voltage limiter which I believe is built into the gauge. It's built in on the 69 Barracuda.

Since you didn't mention an OIL gauge I'll assume you dont have one. In that case there is a voltage limiter plugged into the back of your panel that could be the problem.
As stated before ground the sender wire at your temp sender and turn the switch on. That gauge needle should travel rapidly to extreme hot. Dont leave it there ! Turn the switch off. Replace the sender. If the needle doesn't move, replace the limiter on the istrument panel.
Keep in mind that the new limiter wont work without a chassis ground. If you want to turn it on and test it before completing the panel install you will need to attach a temporary ground jumper.

-
Back