1969 ignition switch trouble

-

Idaho

Reaction score
I have to wiggle and wiggle to get it to turn. I found the 69 switch assembly is unique to that year.

Seems the switch is separate from the lock cylinder? I assume its the lock cylinder I need.

Wondering, if the dash hole is the same? If so other years should work OK? I guess I'll end up with separate ignition and door keys.
Anyone resolve this problem?

I have 68 cylinders one with a key if you need one. I can chk my 69 and compare to see what the difference is as well.

take your switch & key to a local lock smith -- he can tighten it up--- 69 is 1 year only-- much larger cylinder than other years, Lawrence

I'll call and see what they say. Thanks.

Ok, here are some pics, and the switch on the right is for 69, the other ones are for 67 and 68. 69 has 5 connections on the back, same as the middle one, and the one on the far left has 6. The connection that is "missing" from the 69 and the middle one is the "ground" it must be elsewhere in the harness. Dimensionally the 69 is bigger both in length and width....:prayer:
Anyway I would say take yours to a locksmith or get the one from your link and get it keyed to match your current key.

Attachments

• DSCF7828 (Medium).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCF7829 (Medium).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF7832 (Medium).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 152
Perfect. Thanks a bunch for the great pics.
I'll visit with the locksmith.

Ever wonder why Chrysler spent the time and money to completely re-engineer that part ?

Between 67 and 69 Chrysler made a key blank, pin size & pin spacing change to their pin tumbler that fits into the switch.

I suspect that your tumbler is worn, has weak springs, gummed up from too much lubricant over the years, and key is cut too deep from factory dimension causing it to hang-up. It is a simple fix for a lock smith to repair. I would also bring your driver’s door lock to him as that lock is most likely is in need of new pins & springs as well.

Between 67 and 69 Chrysler made a key blank, pin size & pin spacing change to their pin tumbler that fits into the switch.

I suspect that your tumbler is worn, has weak springs, gummed up from too much lubricant over the years, and key is cut too deep from factory dimension causing it to hang-up. It is a simple fix for a lock smith to repair. I would also bring your driver’s door lock to him as that lock is most likely is in need of new pins & springs as well.

Good advice. Thanks.

RedFish Ever wonder why Chrysler spent the time and money to completely re-engineer that part ?

An engineer on a salary with nothing to do?

-
Back