1969 Polara 2-dr 383-4bbl "The Tank"

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
So it's not an A-body but a C... What we have here is a '69 Polara 2-door, factory 383 4-bbl, 727 trans, 8 3/4 rear with 3.23 gears and sure-grip. Power steering and power front DRUM brakes :? plus the super cool one-year-only Super-Lite "mid-beam" option which you can see in the grille on the driver side. The odometer reads 99,520 and judging from the condition of it all I think it hasn't rolled over yet. Oh yeah got it for $2000, I think it was a pretty good deal...

936886_10200421927642996_1023638617_n.jpg

So far after getting the car I have pulled and cleaned the carb out, the gaskets and such were in good shape it just needed a little gunk cleaned off. I identified it to be a #6125 Carter AVS which is actually off a 1971 383 and is incorrect for this car. I will leave it for now as it has cleaned up very well and runs great.

The ignition system looks fairly new but unoriginal, although I was surprised the distributor still has points which looked almost brand new BTW. Nonetheless I think I will convert to factory-style electronic ignition or maybe the Pertronix what would you guys do?

The car has what looks to be an almost brand new dual exhaust system. A buddy of mine who led me to the car told me that the original owner had a new system built according to the original "Chrysler cards" that spec'd the exact bends and lengths to reproduce a factory fit. It looks amazing BTW the pipes haven't even corroded yet lol. It's got no crossover and has glasspacks so it sounds MEAN. I will for sure post up more pics and a video of it running, this 383 is in impressive shape if it really is all-original.

So far I've got suspension parts ordered to rebuild the front end (bushings, tie rods, etc). I believe the power brake booster needs to be replaced; the pedal gets super hard after pressing on it not very much like the assist is running out which is scary with a car this huge on small city streets. Panic stops don't really work instead of the brakes grabbing harder as you stomp the pedal it just gets rock hard and doesn't stop any quicker. I know this is wrong because my cousin has a 4-door '72 Polara with power front discs and when you step on the pedal too hard it feels like the car wants to do a front-flip lol

Anyway lots to do this week, gonna take one of the tires in to find a leak and see about getting a new tire and wheel to replace an incorrect one on the back. I'm also gonna have the trans pan pulled and take a look inside to determine whether I can just flush 'n fill or rebuild it.

More to come for sure...

Very cool, I used to have a "super-lite" for the car, also had one for a 70 with the grille, very cool option!!! (2-year option) I think you go a deal, that car looks baddass! If you are interested I have the rare 3 piece trim set that goes on the front of that car, all 3 pieces are NOS, the 2 fender extensions are chrome and the 3rd piece goes across the hood, I will get pics if you want. The trim really dresses up the car, you can also "google" pics and see how the trim looks on other 69's :glasses7: I would love to have that car, nice score bud :cheers:

Congrats to a nice car even if it's a C-body. But it's a Mopar anyway!

:burnout:

I think the 69 Dodge Polara/Monaco is the meanest looking C-body ever made, next in line is the 66 Chrysler Newport/New Yorker.....:glasses7:

even though i advised against this idea in your other thread ....i still wish on you sucess and good fortune.......so in that spirit .....SUBSCRIBED and watching you. :happy1:

i used to have a ton of C-body parts before i got out of Cs to specialize in A-body so if you need anything let me know and i will check and see if i get something headed up I-25 to you neighbor. :cheers:

That thing looks bad ***! As for the ignition question: I've tried the pertronix kit and wasn't impressed, and after building my own HEI I don't much care for the factory electronic ignition anymore.

I love it! These years totally remind me of the old CHP cars! And I love the fact that it's got a factory-spec'd repro exhaust system with all the correct bends etc.....I into that stuff, especially when it's loud. :D I never even knew that Mopar offered that strange little mid-light thing, that's a trip.

I hope you keep it and don't flip it!

I think the 69 Dodge Polara/Monaco is the meanest looking C-body ever made, next in line is the 66 Chrysler Newport/New Yorker.....:glasses7:

I agree! MopeKid you are so lucky! And I knew for sure this Polara was GREEN before the pic loaded....more pics please and keep us updated.

Love the ignition key on the left! And how those Fusie's have a peculiar floating ride quality unlike any other!

Also look how straight it is, the previous owners must've been careful drivers.

Ooooooh I am so envious!

On my Duster I went all the way to a Mallory HyFire 6A box from stock points. If it was my car I'd add that and maybe a higher-lift cam but I want to keep it looking original just because so much is still there. I can definitely tell with points the car doesn't start as easily when warm as my Duster does with the Mallory box.

Just spent the whole day putting in a new starter and battery wiring, had to return to the store multiple times lol... Needless to say it doesn't sound like a dying goat when cranking anymore. Next I'm going to pull the trans pan to see what shape it's in then get ready to pull the engine to detail it.

I can clearly see that someone driving the car previously ran over a giant rock or something that pushed in the oil pan and slightly dented the front crossmember. Forgot to get pics today but I'll try tomorrow lol

-
Back