1969 Race Dart w/ 426 Hemi- garaged for 45+ years

-

Scott_ 69HemiDart

1969 Dart 426 Hemi
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
UPDATE 12.14.2023
Welcome, for those of you reading this build for the first time, I figured I would do a little update on the build progress. It has been a little over 8 months since the preservation began and a lot has happened. The engine was rebuilt by Sean who owns SB Engine and Machine in Concord, NC. I just returned from a trip to North Carolina where the engine was just put on the dyno on Tuesday, December 12, 2023. Here are some pictures of the completed Engine and a video of the Dyno run. Thanks for following along. The next update is the car is going back to NC on January 8, 2024, for it all to go back together.
IMG_9883.JPG

IMG_9889.JPG

Good Morning, I posted in the welcome wagon here Hello from West Virginia

Hello all, my name is Scott. Found the forum searching for info on the 1969 Dodge Dart we just received due to my FIL passing. The car has been sitting in his garage for 45+ years. My FIL talked a little about it over the years, but for most info was unknown. I knew it was a Dart and he said it has a 426 Hemi.

Little backstory on the car from what I have pieced together from some of his friends (FIL was 82) ................The car was stolen when new and then my FIL bought it with 2.9 miles on it. According to the VIN it is a 1969 2dr hardtop swinger with a 340 and 4 speed transmission. My FIL put the 426 Hemi in it, took it to the track a hand full of times and then it sat until this past weekend (4-3-2023) when I pulled it out of the garage.

I loaded it on a trailer in NJ at my MIL's and brought it home to West Virginia. I cleaned it up and now have it in my shop.

Now a little background on me............... I am 52 and a retired Federal LEO and do not have any experience rebuilding a motor or restoring a car. I would like to make this a tribute car to the racing era and my FIL. I will keep it as it was 45+ years ago when my FIL built it. This will be a preservation not a restoration. I will keep the 426 in it, it has a Dana 60 rear end and is a 4-speed car.

The motor will be pulled, gone through, cleaned, painted, and rebuilt with parts that may be needed. I have a cross Ram intake from 1963 and carbs I plan on using. All engine work will be done by @replicaracer43.

Thank you for following along........................... :thumbsup:

IMG_6682.JPG

IMG_6683.JPG

IMG_6685.JPG

IMG_6689.JPG

IMG_6698.JPG

IMG_6699.JPG

IMG_6703.JPG

IMG_6708.jpeg

Last edited:
Love it. Be ready for some serious money to get that motor rebuilt. Why? Just wondering.

Personally wash it wax it and fix all the mechanical as needed. Freaking time capsule there.

Glad you're keeping that original color. I believe it was a '69 Spring special order color. Do you know if the original 340 motor was removed for the Hemi install or removed when stolen?

If you do go to start it change the oil and prime the oil system first by priming the oil pump first. You should rotate the engine by hand when you do it Mopar has a screwy oiling system to the heads goes through the camshaft. @Dragon Slayer Know the Hemis.

Thank You for Sharing this Lil gem, err, Emerald, lol, with us! You probably don't realize it, but Y'all made my day the other day by finding out about Her, Thanks MaxCustody! Ps, did you work at Mt Olive?

Glad you're keeping that original color. I believe it was a '69 Spring special order color. Do you know if the original 340 motor was removed for the Hemi install or removed when stolen?

I was wondering the same thing!
This is unknown...........as you see the state of my FIL's garage, it may be in there somewhere. This was in the basement with some high-back seats.

IMG_6951[2138].jpg

If you do go to start it change the oil and prime the oil system first by priming the oil pump first. You should rotate the engine by hand when you do it Mopar has a screwy oiling system to the heads goes through the camshaft. @Dragon Slayer Know the Hemis.
No start up, I already started disaasembly. I did not want to risk it and hurt anything :thumbsup:

-
Back