1969 Swinger 340

-

69swinger340391

Reaction score
Did all 69 Swingers come with a 340? What about the later years? I have seen many from the early 70's with 318's.

It's all really confusing. So what exactly is a Swinger compared to a GT or GTS? Why all the different Dart Registries, like the '69 340 Dart Swinger registry and the Dart GTS registry...why are they all considered so unique and need their own registry? I just don't get it.

I beleive the 270 model to be entry level, both 2 door & 4 door. The Swinger (next step up) line to be a sportier image for the younger set, 2-door hard tops only. The GT & GTS is the upper level (buckets, console, & trim) also 2-door hard tops.. I don't think you could get any performace engines in the 270 models, at least I havn't seen any. What sets the GTS apart ,was it was the flagship for the Dart line ie. performance engines, lots of options.

Swinger was just a package on the base Dart. You could get the Custom, Swinger, GT, or GTS as a package. Then there were drivetrain base and option levels on all these. Yep gets confusing. Just like on B bodies: in 69 you could get a Belvedere, Satellite, Sport Satellite, Road Runner or a GTX. Depended on the wallet and desire.

over the years Chrysler renamed their base model to appeal to different buyers, mostly marketing

just a little info on the Swinger line for 1969.

The Dart Swinger was available with three engines for 1969. The slant six, the 273 ci 2bbl, and the 318 ci 2bbl. This car was a very basic dart 2 door htp only, with bench seat. Swinger decals were in place on the front fenders, Flat Hood, and NO BumbleBee Stripe, and no 340. This car was a price point car with a younger crowd type appeal. This was the market that Chrysler was shooting for. The vin# for a Base Swinger is LL23, L for Dart, L for low line Price point, and 23 for 2dr. Htp. The Engine code would follow, and could be the Letter "A" or "B" for Slant 6 (170 & 225), "D" for 273, or "E" for 318

The Dart Swinger 340, is a whole other model. The 340 Swinger was only available with a 340 ci 4bbl, NO 383 or 440. Only Bench Seat (2 interior trim levels), No Buckets, No Console. HD 727 Auto and or 4-speed. Performance Bulge Hood, Bumble Bee Stripe, Dual exhaust with Chrome Tips, Hd shocks, and suspension. The Vin# for a 340 Swinger is LM23P9, L for Dart, M for MEDIUM Price Class, 23 for 2dr. Htp. the Engine Code will ONLY be a "P" for
340 ci 4bbl, and 9 for 1969. This car was aimed at the low price Bargin, Bang for the Buck Muscle car crowd.

The Dart GT follows the the same priciple as a Plain base swinger. The Vin# Starts with LP23, L for Dart, P for Premium price class, Slant six 170 or 225, 273 and 318 only, Buckets seats, Console, Basic all over trim level upgrade from both the Swinger and Swinger 340.

The Dart GTS Same thing. Only No Small motors, all Performance, 340, 383, and a Mid year 440. Higher trim level over the two Swinger models, and same trim level as the GT. Vin# LS23, L For Dart, S for Special, Etc.

The only GT or GTS that came with a bench Seat were the Converts. All Htps, had buckets.

Basic, Swinger, and Swinger 340, Basic, Bench, Price Point.

Basic, GT and GTS, Higher Price Point, More Standard Equipment, Higher trim level.

Four total Different models. I did not address, any of the lower line Darts for 69, ie. 270, and Custom.

Hope this helps all get the info. sorted out. These facts are all out of the Dealer Albums for the 69 Dart Lineup. Mark A. Coudriet

just a little info on the Swinger line for 1969.

The Dart Swinger was available with three engines for 1969. The slant six, the 273 ci 2bbl, and the 318 ci 2bbl. This car was a very basic dart 2 door htp only, with bench seat. Swinger decals were in place on the front fenders, Flat Hood, and NO BumbleBee Stripe, and no 340. This car was a price point car with a younger crowd type appeal. This was the market that Chrysler was shooting for. The vin# for a Base Swinger is LL23, L for Dart, L for low line Price point, and 23 for 2dr. Htp. The Engine code would follow, and could be the Letter "A" or "B" for Slant 6 (170 & 225), "D" for 273, or "E" for 318

The Dart Swinger 340, is a whole other model. The 340 Swinger was only available with a 340 ci 4bbl, NO 383 or 440. Only Bench Seat (2 interior trim levels), No Buckets, No Console. HD 727 Auto and or 4-speed. Performance Bulge Hood, Bumble Bee Stripe, Dual exhaust with Chrome Tips, Hd shocks, and suspension. The Vin# for a 340 Swinger is LM23P9, L for Dart, M for MEDIUM Price Class, 23 for 2dr. Htp. the Engine Code will ONLY be a "P" for
340 ci 4bbl, and 9 for 1969. This car was aimed at the low price Bargin, Bang for the Buck Muscle car crowd.

The Dart GT follows the the same priciple as a Plain base swinger. The Vin# Starts with LP23, L for Dart, P for Premium price class, Slant six 170 or 225, 273 and 318 only, Buckets seats, Console, Basic all over trim level upgrade from both the Swinger and Swinger 340.

The Dart GTS Same thing. Only No Small motors, all Performance, 340, 383, and a Mid year 440. Higher trim level over the two Swinger models, and same trim level as the GT. Vin# LS23, L For Dart, S for Special, Etc.

The only GT or GTS that came with a bench Seat were the Converts. All Htps, had buckets.

Basic, Swinger, and Swinger 340, Basic, Bench, Price Point.

Basic, GT and GTS, Higher Price Point, More Standard Equipment, Higher trim level.

Four total Different models. I did not address, any of the lower line Darts for 69, ie. 270, and Custom.

Hope this helps all get the info. sorted out. These facts are all out of the Dealer Albums for the 69 Dart Lineup. Mark A. Coudriet

Nice description....:cheers:

69_Dart_1.jpg
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/SalesmansPocketGuides/1969/69_Dart_2.jpg
69_Dart_2.jpg

-
Back