1969 Valiant instrument cluster question

-

nitronut

Reaction score
I needed to replace my speedometer / cable on my 1969 Valiant and purchased a used instrument cluster years ago. (Currently getting all the bezels re-finished also). I took out my gauge housing yesterday and can't figure out what the cylinder shaped piece on the back is used for. (please see attached photos). It has one very short black wire and I'm 99.9% sure was not attached to anything. Also, on the used cluster I purchased there isn't even one on it. Does anyone have any info on what this is that they could share? Thank You!

Attachments

• Instrument2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Instrument3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Instrument1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 133
It's a capacitor for the radio I believe, probably there to prevent a AC voltage spike from the voltage regulator and keeping any popping sounds from coming through

that's where you plug the doo-hickie into the whatchamacallit so your doomaflatchy will work.. obviously. God..

^ yep and the wire slides into the middle terminal of the rectangle module,remove it,slide it in then slide the module back on and your done.

Thanks a million. It wasn't connected when removed from the car and just wanted some input from the experts! Appreciate it....

There was also a piece of cardboard used as an insulator,mine is missing it too. I have a few clusters laying around. It was about match box style cardboard. I can't remember if it went between the wire and the regulator or not. I checked another cluster and is also missing it.

Attachments

• Picture 3341.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 108
If you leave it out the looseness in that contact could disable the limiter. Intermittent operation of limiter is quite common when the noise suppression capacitor is omitted. That springy female connector is stretched to hold 2 male spades. No **** references please.

-
Back