1969 valiant with 13 inch wheels

-
He would want to stay close to original so I would say the 72. Car currently has 13 inch stock on it. Everyone said he will need new wheels if he goes to disc at all.

What is there to be confused about? Decide WHICH brakes you want. If you want later A body discs (73-76) you need to go to the 4.5" bolt pattern. Unless you want to run 2 different bolt pattern wheels, you'll need to convert the rear to the large bolt pattern to match the later big pattern on the late A body disc brakes.

OR if you want to retain the 4" bolt pattern, use the 72 and prior small bolt pattern disc brakes on the front, and you'll have to do nothing to the rear.

Those are your choices. You can do either choice with factory used parts rebuilt, or aftermarket new parts.

What part about any of that is confusing?
what is confusing is when people say with disc brakes i need to get bigger wheels. it is stock 13 inch wheels and I believe for Disc to work, He needs 14s. So i could just by 14s with the 4 inch bolt pattern (and wheels) and then the 72 and prior kit, right?

what is confusing is when people say with disc brakes i need to get bigger wheels. it is stock 13 inch wheels and I believe for Disc to work, He needs 14s. So i could just by 14s with the 4 inch bolt pattern (and wheels) and then the 72 and prior kit, right?
Right, but be careful WHICH 14s you choose. Not all 14s will fit with discs. Most will. But there's always that oddball.

What I would do is post the query in the tires & wheels section asking which wheels will work with "whichever" disc brakes you want. I'm not sure which all will work. I can tall you I had an original 73 Charger with discs on the front and 14" Road wheels. Those are the painted version of the five spoke Magnum 500 wheels. Discs worked on them fine, as it was a factory car. So I would assume the 14" Road wheels and Magnum 500s will fit. But again, I'm assuming. You know what that means. LOL

Yes, disc brakes need different wheels than the 13" ones you have now. If you're keeping the small bolt pattern, you're rather limited on stock wheel selection. The ones that for sure work, are the 14X5 1/2" wheels. Some of the 14X4 1/2" wheels work too, but, it depends on the year, and which brake kit you buy. With aftermarket wheels, the sky's the limit, depending on your budget. If you want to use some stock dog dish hub caps, and not the stock 14's, you may have to do a bit of looking to find some with the correct diameter nub pattern. I think some of the vintage wheel companies will make them for you. I would recommend that any aftermarket wheels you get (whether off the shelf or custom made) you get 15" or bigger ones for better tire selection and cheaper prices.

Yes, disc brakes need different wheels than the 13" ones you have now. If you're keeping the small bolt pattern, you're rather limited on stock wheel selection. The ones that for sure work, are the 14X5 1/2" wheels. Some of the 14X4 1/2" wheels work too, but, it depends on the year, and which brake kit you buy. With aftermarket wheels, the sky's the limit, depending on your budget. If you want to use some stock dog dish hub caps, and not the stock 14's, you may have to do a bit of looking to find some with the correct diameter nub pattern. I think some of the vintage wheel companies will make them for you. I would recommend that any aftermarket wheels you get (whether off the shelf or custom made) you get 15" or bigger ones for better tire selection and cheaper prices.
i just know he wants to keep it looking as original as possible. My wife and I are the ones opting for disc brakes. he is an old school type of kid.

sketch and Mopar Momzee 15x7 fifth avenue M body steelies will fit the big bolt pattern, and the dog dishes from the 13" wheels will snap right on. Going this route with my 67 barracuda notch. Same caps, but with BBP 15×7 M body steelies. I picked em from my boneyard for $8 each. Such a nice price I went back and bought 2 more sets. One set for my sons 69 notchback, and one set as spares in case another project comes along or one gets curbed. His are getting black paint and chrome lug nuts for that A12 look. A little sandblast and paint, make her what she ain't. With the big bolt pattern, we found that a 2002 lincoln town car donut spare is 25" diameter, light weight aluminum, and clears the large bolt pattern disc brakes nicely. It also sits flat in the spare tire well Heres pix

images-9.jpg

20190919_160654.jpg

20190921_114755.jpg

20190919_115831.jpg

20191003_194359.jpg

20191004_184411.jpg

20200123_185000.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back