1970 340 has the 1973 low compression pistons

-
I somehow missed this upon reading the post the first time. This could make for a sub 9.0:1 ratio, that is admittedly not ideal even for a low compression performance build.
I agree. I missed that too. If it's an accurate measurement, his best bet might be the new pistons. I would be double and triple checking though, because I don't think that's where the low compression 340 pistons sat at TDC. I could be mistaken about that.

Well guys looks like I will have to spring for a bore and new pistons anyways. I have 2 cylinders that have spots I can catch my finger nail on. Maybe a hone will clean it up but I don't think so. Hve to wait until I get it checked out.

Well guys looks like I will have to spring for a bore and new pistons anyways. I have 2 cylinders that have spots I can catch my finger nail on. Maybe a hone will clean it up but I don't think so. Hve to wait until I get it checked out.
Sounds like it. That's reason enough for new slugs right there!

OP say it with me now.....booooooooost.

I love statements like this, when half the factors that affect detonation are left out.

Timing? 10 degrees after top dead center.
Cam overlap? 110 degrees.
Chamber volume? 200cc's.
Not enough info for you in my post jos51700? Did you consider to ask a question or two?.......probably not.
By the way subtract 66 off your 110 value and you will have the cam overlap number for a factory stock 340 cam.

Not enough info for you in my post jos51700? Did you consider to ask a question or two?.......probably not.
By the way subtract 66 off your 110 value and you will have the cam overlap number for a factory stock 340 cam.

As you can see, I answered my own questions!

Thank you for the clarification on stock 340 cam overlap, answers for questions that nobody asked are helpful, sometimes, too.

The high compression is one of the attributes of a 340 ...I dunno 9.5:1 is about as low as I'd go...and I do believe 10.5:1 will run on todays pump gas.

For an early 340
to be at 10.5Scr, the Total chamber volume needs to be roughly
(340/8) x16.387 /(10.5 less 1) =73.3cc

The X-head chambers by themselves might be close to that, then add gasket, add eyebrows, subtract pop-up, add back a lil clearance volume; and what do you get?
>with pistons only .018 up out of the holes; I'll guess 84cc or so, and Scr falls to 9.29...........
> with pistons .045 up, I'll guess 78.3cc, so Scr of 9.89 ...............
But that stinking 114LSA factory-cam in at 110, drops the Dcrs of those to 7.43 and 7.89, at 900ft elevation, which is well into pumpgas territory.
The lower the Dcr goes, the more lazy the low-rpm is.
By the time the Scr is 8/1, the Dcr becomes 6.43, and I'ma thinking she will burn any old puke gas, but be turd-slow on the take-off no matter what gas is in the carb; 6.43 is pretty low, lower even than a Smoggerteen which being 7.10, also at 900ft.
is it safe to say the combustion chambers on the heads are anywhere between 65-73 ccs? I thought I had read that some where that the factory was all over the place with the castings...and the only way to know what you have is to actually CC your heads.

is it safe to say the combustion chambers on the heads are anywhere between 65-73 ccs? I thought I had read that some where that the factory was all over the place with the castings...and the only way to know what you have is to actually CC your heads.

Unmilled heads 340/360 chambers are about 72 cc Plus or minus a cc. It takes about a .040 cut to get down to about 65 cc per chamber. This example is for J heads. Not sure of later heads.

the only way to know what you have is to actually CC your heads.
This is correct mostly because those heads are now pushing 50 years old and who can say how many times they have been thru the machine shop.
As you can see, I did not include any specific numbers for any of the players. My post was just to show what it takes to get to the rated Scr with a 340 and what happens after you install the cam.

Yeah Ill never forget that wheel stand with the wheels spinning and smoke billowing out of the rear wheel wells...:lol:

I always pretended he ripped a fart right then and that's what lifted the car up and also caused the motor to let go.

-
Back