1970 340 ignition module

-

Jarod340

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1970 dart 340 4spd car. I bought a new wiring harness for it from classic industries for the updated electronic ignition. The car has no ignition module and the 2 connection ballister not the 4 prong one. Runs fine! I have a electronic distributor I'm installing My question is...So the wiring harness connection that plugs into module is a 5 pin, what pin module do I need? Will 4 pin module work? And classic industries states I must use the 4 prong ballister...any info would be great and reasons why. Thanks guys

Use whatever ballast resistor you harness is wired for.

The modern ecu’s are all 4 pin. The 5th pin in the harness is unused.

The 4 pin ballast is for the 5 pin ecu. It can be used with the 4 pin ecu as well, the extra part of the ballast resistor just won’t be used & it won’t matter.

Th
Use whatever ballast resistor you harness is wired for.

The modern ecu’s are all 4 pin. The 5th pin in the harness is unused.

The 4 pin ballast is for the 5 pin ecu. It can be used with the 4 pin ecu as well, the extra part of the ballast resistor just won’t be used & it won’t matter.
Thanks alot

The reason for the original 5 pin module / 4 pin ballast.

The second resistor in the 4 pin ballast ran part of the circuitry inside the module. "At some point" Chrysler redesigned the module and that resistor/ circuit was simply not needed. You cannot tell by looking. some 4 pin modules have only 4 pins, and some have a 5th dummy pin. You can do resistance checks from the 5th pin and see if it's open. If so, you have a 4 pin. I doubt you can even buy a 5 pin anywhere, except old stock on Egag.

-
Back