davescuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Contact seller
need some help

i need the reverse lock out linkage for 1970 dart duster 4 speed.

this is the linkage that goes from the steering column to the pivot shaft to the reverse rod.

thanks dave

That cross shaft and column rod in the pic are from a B or E-Body an A-Body is different completely and does not adjust on the cross shaft it adjusts on the column rod

The machined area on the bellhousing (circled) is the correct mounting area for the bracket. That shaft bracket also does not appear correct for an A body. The frame bracket (circled) is backwards. It should turned around (horizontally).

Jim's Dart was the photo I tried to upload. You'll just have to visualize it, Lol.

The frame bracket is a correct A-Body one and is mounted the correct way. The bell bracket is also the correct A-Body one, it is the cross shaft and the column rod that are incorrect

I've only seen one and that was 35 years ago when I took mine off My 70 340 Swinger and tossed it. How many of You did that? I bought this set up from Tony's auto parts and paid up the *** for it. I told him it was for My 70 340 Swinger so I assumed I was getting the correct parts. I've bought many parts from him and never had any issues. I'll contact Him and hopefully He'll take care of this for Me.

What the hell does this even do? I've never seen or heard of such a thing and cannot imagine what in the steering column needs to connect to reverse?

What the hell does this even do? I've never seen or heard of such a thing and cannot imagine what in the steering column needs to connect to reverse?

you have to put the shifter into reverse the linkage moves the column to the lock position and then you can remove the key. 1970 only

After you park and shut off the engine, you put the the gear into reverse and it locks the steering column. Beginning in '71 or '72, Chrysler stick cars incorporated a much simpler column lock configuration inside the column which did away with the external interlock rods.

The bell bracket is incorrect for a 70 A body in that photo. It should be a flat "L" shape with a flat "hook" at the end and mounts to the machined surface with the vertical/parallel threaded holes. The frame bracket is correct part wise for a 70 A body but it is backwards. Also, in the photo, the cross shaft appears to be connected to the lower bolt mounting hole. The cross shaft needs to connect through a bushing in the upper hole.

The lockout setup was missing on my 70 Duster when I bought it 25 years ago. I scoped out a local original owner 70 to see what an untouched factory setup looked like. Never gathered all the pieces though. The brackets are fairly easy to find as they are usually left behind, mounted on the bell and the frames. It's the rods that are harder to scrounge since those are what was pitched when they were new. Overall, not a hugely critical setup to have unless you crave a locking steering column or it's going to be a points car.

Tony is a good guy in the hobby. He'll make things right with you.:thumbup:

70 is the only year that used a lockout key release system in an A-body. 71 & 72 never used it. The bell bracket mostly certainly is correct and is installed through the bushing, the way it should be. Check ebay auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/140569688689 . I had 2 cars with this lockout setup on and this is what they used from the factory. The frame bracket is on the correct way with the pin sticking out to go in the alignment hole in the frame rail. Not only were the rods discarded and very hard to find, but the cross shaft can be even worse to find. Here are pics of 2 other lock out bell brackets. Number is one is a E and B-body big block one. Number two is an E-body small block.

Attachments

• 100_6957.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 608
I'm sure Tony will make it right. As for a points car I'm not into that and I don't plan on entering any contest. although I like Dusters/Demons and later 60's darts My thing is 70 340 Swingers. I'm not a total expert on them but I certainly no a lot about them. I've seen people judge these cars and give high points and in most cases I can pick out a dozen things incorrect right off the bat. My thing is if it came on the car I want it on the car. Now for example some of You fellas say some things are right, none are ,somethings are installed right and some not. As i work on the car if i'm not sure on something I hope You guys will be able to help Me out.

I know exactly what you mean about cars not being correct. This also is the case with parts listing and inaccurate information being given by some vendors who actually know better but sometimes just try to make a sale hoping the buyer does not install the part for years or just don't want to go through the hassle of returning a part, i see that happen way too often. As for individuals too often people think they know and with-out researching or documenting to back up their claims make inaccurate statements. No ones perfect or knows it all and there are very few cars out there that are perfect either but with linkage its not going to function unless it correct or you bend, heat, cut and weld. Good luck with your car hope this info helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back