1970 dart fresh air hood

-

1994redram

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I installed the factory dual scoops on my 70 dart awhile back. I was wondering if anybody has made it a fully functional fresh/ram air hood. I'm not really sure how wide a super bee hood is, but they had a "ram charger" fresh air system. I'm pretty positive that the super bee and dart use the same scoops. It would be cool to trim the underhood pieces from the super bee to fit the dart hood to keep an OEM look.

I did some searching and found a thread where somebody made a set up for a demon with the factory snorkel scoop. I really like it, but it's a center scoop. And quite a bit different
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=229164

I agree, I've been thinking up ideas for my '70 dart for awhile now. I seen an episode of horse power tv-trucks where the guy made a bumper/spoiler for a truck out of wire tiged together than covered with fabric and fiber glass resin, it turned out looking pretty good like it came out of a mold. I'm thinking the same could be done from the scoop holes to the carb?

Jeff

Making a fiberglass part from scratch would be too hard. I'm thinking you could flip the hood upside down and make your shape from foam blocks or clay. Once you have your shape down you could lay some glass over your mold. Let it cure and remove the mold matierial from it. I've messed with fiberglass a little bit and it seems do-able.

I like the idea of using a factory piece for the looks and originality. Plus the factory piece has a "valve" in it to pull air from the engine bay during normal driving.

As cool as it would look, the factory Ramcharger set up on a '69 Super Bee was not effective because the scoop opening, the holes(slots) in the hood was not big enough to make a noticeable performance difference. There was not much air flow........
It was more of a gimmick than anything.
The Road Runners were even worse with the Coyote Duster set up in '69.
I sure loved the look of it on my '69 Super Bee though!

I agree it would be cool but the height doesn't really put it into the clean air like the 6 pack or hemi scoops do, but would be cool to fab up. Just my .02
Wonder if you can use the set up from the super bees to cross over and position your scoops over them and mount it.

-
Back