1970 Dart wipers dont work

-

Al Bundy

four touchdowns!
Reaction score
Last week it rained and I discovered the wipers on the Dart didn't work anymore. I cleaned and checked the connectors on the back of the motor,I tried gently nudging the wiper arms,nothing. No sound from the motor at all. Its the standard 2 speed type. Are these motors a trouble spot on these cars? I am thinking the motor must be bad. I got stuck driving it in pouring rain with no wipers...now that's "adventure driving"!

It also appears I have some leaks to take care of as the kick panels had small drops of water going down onto the floor.I had to put a fan and lift the carpet to dry the mats out.
I am guessing its leaking from the windshield rubber somewhere....the fun never ends.

Did you check the fuse first?

You could turn the wipers on and test light it at the connector to see if it a lack of power or the motor.
They are usually pretty tough.
Did you check the fuse yet?

Yep,checked all the fuses and they were fine. I read that there is a circuit breaker built into the switch on some of these cars,do those usually fail?

My standard advice is to go to MyMopar and download the correct shop manual, and be mindful of the correct info, ie 2, 3 speed or variable, and the year

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

and visit the "Passion for Mopars" site there's a lot of good info, there

http://www.passion4mopars.com/

I do believe some of these have breakers in the switches, "leaning" towards older

Make sure the motor is grounded good. Had one that wouldn't work and when I hit it with the test light to test ground it started to work.

The wipers on my 70 dart stopped working one day. It was around 6 A.M. in the dark while POURING rain on the way to work. No wipers is a very bad situation!
I pulled the motor apart and found that the grease had hardened and a chunk fell and landed perfectly on the contact for the park function. The wipers were stuck all of the way up and wouldn't do anything. I cleaned it all up and put some fresh grease in it. The motor works like new. Oreillys did have a reman'ed wiper motor for less than $100.

-
Back