1970 dodge dart setup for street and strip?

-

1970boy

Reaction score
image.png
Hey FABO members i have 1970 dodge dart with the slant six 225 and im looking towards an engine swap or even just upgrading my slant six. The goal is to have good hp and torque while having pretty decent mileage, i also want to be able to go down to the track here and there and do 12-13's or better

Slant would need a lot of boost to get your Dart in that range.Dont know your budget either.

You're best/easiest/cheapest option is a 360, even mildly built will get you in the 13s.

My 3 top picks for my street/ strip car was a 383, 400, or a 440. But in my area, big blocks are easier to get ahold of than small blocks. Nice power, maybe not gas mileage but that's not a real good combo. A relative of mine used a diesel turbo on a slant six and it was a fun little car. That is if your dead set on keeping the /6.

I don't know what a turbo build would cost but there is a nut case here from way down south that did a build. Search around and I'm sure you'll find it.
Look for Bill Deedman. Spelling could be off.
As
For a V8 swap, the quickest and easiest way I can think off would be to swap in a 5.9 and sprinkle with bolt on's and a cam.

But this kind of build can be expensive due to sub par parts and the need for a V8 trans and a converter to match everything.
The rear is probably a 7-1/4. You'll need a 8-1/4 at a min. There inexpensive but it all adds up very quickly. The radiator as well. Upgrade. Do you have drums all around, your gonna love it when you upgrade away from dinky drums. But that's mo-money.

12s or better and mileage? Turbo the slant.

Mild 340/360 will get you in the 13's..heck even a "boat anchor 318" will do that..

thoughts on supercharged /6 vs a turbo /6v

Anything can be done with the cash. However, I am not certain a supercharger would work with slant. That would be one interesting looking blower/intake. All in all superchargers take power to make power and turbos are reusing exhaust gas, so they are more efficient.

But if you go boosted, you're gonna be in for the long haul, if on a budget. P.S. Let me know if you wanna sell those scoops. ;)

Yup Rumble fish is bang on,but the last name is Dedman I think. And yup turbo' cost $$,horsepower always does. Rear end options could be wider than just a mopar rear,supposedly Jeep rears fit and have disc brakes,and some Ford 8.8 have rear disc and are a close fit as well.

A junkyard magnum, (even a 5.2) would meet your goals both in performance and economy. A stock 5.9 and a 100 shot of NOS would be a blast. A turbo slant, is NOT budget friendly, despite what anyone claims.

A junkyard magnum, (even a 5.2) would meet your goals both in performance and economy. A stock 5.9 and a 100 shot of NOS would be a blast. A turbo slant, is NOT budget friendly, despite what anyone claims.

A magnum or even a modern Hemi swap could come with the added bonus of an overdrive transmission.Adding more gears equates to more acceleration and better mileage.

Op hasn't actually mentioned his build budget yet...Lol,yup I know,it's easy to spend someone elses cash. But whats a used hemi,say a 5.7 and trans worth? I've seen entire Dodge trucks for sale here for less than 3 grand. That should get him everything he needs.

Op hasn't actually mentioned his build budget yet...Lol,yup I know,it's easy to spend someone elses cash. But whats a used hemi,say a 5.7 and trans worth? I've seen entire Dodge trucks for sale here for less than 3 grand. That should get him everything he needs.
For a hemi swap what would the mileage look like and also does anyone know what a ballpark $ range would be?

Truly a location dependent issue on cost. 3k at the local junk yards will earn you a laugh with a finger pointing your way to the front door to leave.
The sell the ruined HEMI's for more then 3k.

True enough Rumblefish...and depends on who is selling,if they know you,how badly they want your cash etc etc etc...Maybe your right. A Magnum swap from a truck would be a very much more affordable option,and there are a ton of those out there.

We have a lot of Hemi powered trucks around here,they almost outnumber the Fords these days.Maybe down the road as the supply grows they will become less...

IF indeed the HEMI is in budget, IMO, an excellent way to go it would be.
I did a 5.9 Magnum into my '79 Magnum. EZ-PZ nice and easy.

-
Back