1970 Duster 440 Big block install

-

Bmsjax

Reaction score
Just got the short block and trans put in today. Went in real nice and only have one spot on the top of the tail shaft that hits. I had to change my 727 from a short tail to a long tail and used the tail shaft outta a truck that is thicker/stronger(i guess) than a car tail shaft so I'll have to cut out a bit of that rib? section that goes over the top of the tail shaft. It sits lower than I was picturing in my head but the oil and trans pans sit at perfect height, shouldnt be hitting anything. The trans dipstick does hit the firewall but thats a easy fix with a new one. I used Trans-dapt motor mounts which are half the price as the others but identical. The mounting bolts are a little long if you ask me and one wouldnt fit due to the length but even if I buy new ones its still cheaper than the other kits hahaha.

Attachments

• 100MEDIA_IMAG0233.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 834
  • 100MEDIA_IMAG0235.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 774
  • 100MEDIA_IMAG0238.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 782
  • 100MEDIA_IMAG0244.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 718
Check and make sure those trans dapt mounts are different thickness... should be a thicker one on the passenger side. Mine came with two driver side mounts and they don't work that way with the headers.... the bolts were a bit long in mine too but for the cost not bad.

Fit looks pretty good from the pictures. You may have to make 1/8 shims if the motor does not sit high enough. Check to make sure you have good oil filter clearance and good oil pan clearance. Also on the 727 trans, some tail shafts will hit the torsion bar cross member up in the tunnel on the passenger side. I had to do some trimming on a few of these swaps.

You may want to consider installing some frame connectors on that beast. Don't want to twist it the first time that you get on it.

Yep I'm hitting a little bit on the cross member in the tunnel. Only about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch so trimming is due for this weekend. All other clearances look good as is at the moment, we'll see once the heads and headers get put on. Subframe connectors are definitely on the install list before this baby hits the road hahaha but I have always wanted to say I twisted a car... just not this one.

-
Back