1970 Duster Alternator Pulley Alignment

-

maldridgeks

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a nice driver quality 1970 duster - largely all original. 318 car, 904 trans, aftermarket intake and 4 barrel carb. Car was originally an AC car & that was removed. The alternator belt alignment was put together with a rather unique use of washers & I am seeking your advice for how best to resolve. I assume this relates to a non-original water pump, but wanted to get your thoughts before I try ordering parts. Thank you everyone.

New One.jpg

New Two.jpg

New Three.jpg

Last edited:
Photos will be required to proceed with an accurate assessment of your problem.

Photos will be required to proceed with an accurate assessment of your problem.
LOL. I missed that messaged that my images were too large. Cut them in half, now under 2MB each and still getting message they are too large. I've not run into this previously...thoughts/suggestions?

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a nice driver quality 1970 duster - largely all original. 318 car, 904 trans, aftermarket intake and 4 barrel carb. Car was originally an AC car & that was removed. The alternator belt alignment was put together with a rather unique use of washers & I am seeking your advice for how best to resolve. I assume this relates to a non-original water pump, but wanted to get your thoughts before I try ordering parts. Thank you everyone.

You want this bracket and bolt kit... This kit has the proper brackets, bolt, and spacers for the bolt to align the alternator correctly...

DSC03116.JPG

DSC03118.JPG

Here's the proper mounting bolts for the triangular bracket to the water pump and alternator...

DSC03120.JPG

Then you need a single pulley alternator for non-A/C, not the double pulley A/C alternator pulley as the grooves are not aligned for the single pulley set-up.... Here's how it will all line up...

This is on my son's 71 Valiant, used to be A/C, we took the A/C off...

DSC01268 B.JPG

DSC01270 B.JPG

DSC01274 B.JPG

Last edited:
More pictures so you can see the belt alignment...

DSC01908.JPG

DSC01912 B.jpg

DSC01913 B.jpg

LOL. I missed that messaged that my images were too large. Cut them in half, now under 2MB each and still getting message they are too large. I've not run into this previously...thoughts/suggestions?

Go into microsoft paint and resize the originals to 40% and save them to a different name (So you keep the originals)...

Are you trying to drag and drop? Use the Attach Photos option

A/C and non A/C engines use different brackets and pulleys (and water pump believe it or not) Get a set for a non-A/C car your year and everything should work fine.

Do you want a completely stock set up, or do you want to make things function with the least cost? As long as the three pulleys in your system align and you can effectively tighten the belt your current situation is fine. If it works, go on a hunt for a correct set of pulleys and brackets for a non-AC car at a bargain price and swap it over later. If you want it stock and want it now buy the repop pulleys and brackets and swap to a single pulley alternator. The single pulley groove is not the same distance from the front of the alternator as either of the double grooves...

Thank you to everyone. To summarize, if I want to clean up this swap properly, I need to get a single pulley alternator, proper year water pump, and proper alternator mounting brackets. Do you know if I also need to swap the crankshaft pulley? I will likely want to replace the fan clutch while I'm in there.

I'm assuming you have a '70 and newer engine setup. If so, yes, the crank pulley is different between A/C and non-A/C. So is the water pump pulley. You might be able to get away with keeping that water pump. I'd try it and see. The difference is the number of impellers on the inside of the pump. You can keep the alternator, you just need to change to a single groove pulley or press the existing pulley on so one of the grooves lines up properly. To be completely stock, you should have a rigid fan on a non-A/C car, not a clutch fan. The clutch fan should work fine however.

Hello everyone,

View attachment 1716184798

View attachment 1716184799

View attachment 1716184802

You have the correct water pump/fan pulley, but you definitely need the triangular bracket that mounts to the water pump and hold the pivot bolt for the alternator... There is no need for the stack of washers on the lower end water pump hole, the triangular bracket bolts directly on the water pump and the slotted bracket goes on top of the triangular bracket on the right (passenger) side lower water pump bolt...

The way it's configured right now, there is no support for the alternator pivot bolt which is absolutely necessary to keep it from vibrating and fatiguing and breaking the alternator pivot bolt... The alternator pivot bolt needs the support of the triangular bracket...

You also need to get rid of the double groove alternator pulley and get a single groove alternator pulley, whether you get a new alternator or just change the pulley...

That is definitely a hack job... But you can fix it with the correct parts...

You have the correct water pump/fan pulley, but you definitely need the triangular bracket that mounts to the water pump and hold the pivot bolt for the alternator... There is no need for the stack of washers on the lower end water pump hole, the triangular bracket bolts directly on the water pump and the slotted bracket goes on top of the triangular bracket on the right (passenger) side lower water pump bolt...

The way it's configured right now, there is no support for the alternator pivot bolt which is absolutely necessary to keep it from vibrating and fatiguing and breaking the alternator pivot bolt... The alternator pivot bolt needs the support of the triangular bracket...

You also need to get rid of the double groove alternator pulley and get a single groove alternator pulley, whether you get a new alternator or just change the pulley...

That is definitely a hack job... But you can fix it with the correct parts...
The OP's water pump pulley is an A/C one. Compare it with yours. The offset and diameter are totally different.

Thank you to everyone. To summarize, if I want to clean up this swap properly, I need to get a single pulley alternator, proper year water pump, and proper alternator mounting brackets. Do you know if I also need to swap the crankshaft pulley? I will likely want to replace the fan clutch while I'm in there.

Your water pump is fine, that's the correct one for 70 and later...

You need the triangluar alternator mounting bracket and single groove alternator pulley (Here's some links below) :

Alternator triangle bracket, slotted adjustment bracket, and center pivot bolt for alternator:

Single groove alternator pulley:

Here's the correct crankshaft pulley if you need it:

Single groove crankshaft pulley:

Double groove crankshaft pulley for alternator and power steering:

Basic links for Mancini and bouchillon performance sites:

The OP's water pump pulley is an A/C one. Compare it with yours. The offset and diameter are totally different.

I thought the water pump pulley was the same for a/c and non-a/c, thanks...

Then he will need this water pump pulley:

-
Back