1970 Duster bench seat headrests removal

-

Valleyant

Valleyant
Reaction score
I can't remove them......working on the drivers side presently and it seems like the inboard rail is preventing the headrest from coming out. I tried fishing a long zip tie and an old oil dip stick along the back of the rail in an effort to help the rail release but no luck... I don't want to damage the headrest.
Does anyone have a pic/schematic of the headrest system on how to tackle this.
Thanks!

I have the same problem! Mine are extended out as far as they'll go, without coming out. I don't see a release of any sort. What am I missing????
Thanks!

I read everything from tugging extremely hard from the lowest headrest position too sliding a thin piece of metal behind the headrest poles to release what ever it is that is holding them in. I have tried both to no avail :banghead:and don't feel comfortable trying to force them off. Mine are nice originals, albeit they need to be dyed and a new chrome strip installed....I don't want to damage or crack the vinyl.
(Plan A) I'm gonna take the seat to the upholsters shop,for new skins, and I will have him remove the headrests..
I may try, one more time, to pull them out once the seat is removed from the car since there will be more room/leverage but if they don't budge refer to plan A.

I have a 73 Duster and I am having the same problem..
I pulled up on it as hard as I could and nothing.

Did anyone ever figure this out?

I wrap a late model type scissor jack in a towel (like one from a 90s car ) and wedge it between the headrest and seat and crank it up until "pop"

works every time and I have yet to damage anything.

Headrest in up position.

Remove screws holding chrome cover on the latch side.

While holding cover up, insert a slim but stiff wire or something similar down to push the latch finger out of the detente groove.

Pull up on headrest to remove.

-
Back