1970 Duster interior fix up/ Cali cars are great!

-

Valleyant

Valleyant
Reaction score
I found this '70 Duster in California and brought it to Ohio about 7 years ago. Finally getting around to fixing the interior. Big plans such as bucket seats with upgraded seat skins and 4 speed conversion were halted so that I could see this project getting somewhere. It's a sympathetic resto with slight deviations....carpet instead of rubber floor for instance. I'm trying to refurbish a lot of the original parts if possible.
I'm glad I went with the original bench (love the color), it has such a charm. This car is a carbon copy (color and all) of the car my folks had when me and my brothers were kids. Exact except this car has power steering and this one has 10" drums. Here some pics of how it's evolved in the last few weeks!:cheers:
View attachment May102014mothersdayduster 150.jpg

View attachment May102014mothersdayduster 158.jpg

View attachment May132014dusterfloorsheadrest 019.jpg

View attachment May302114dusterseatbelts 012.jpg

View attachment May302114dusterseatbelts 015.jpg

nice looking floors---Can't imagine finding that in Kansas-- Great color,Lawrence

Thanks Guys!!!
Yep its a 96K mile 225 slant 6 which runs great and 7 1/4 rear....can't have it all, lol.
It does have power steering and the manual 10" drum brakes seem/feel much more capable than the 9" drums on my Valiant.
I do plan to switch them for a set of the Kelsey Hayes 4 piston disc's up front and install a front sway bar.
I couldn't believe the floors as well. It had some light surface rust in the front foot wells which I treated with a rust killer and then I coated the floor (it pained me to cover up the original painted floor :sad2:) with a POR15 like paint. So that should protect the floor for me.
I drove it approximately 20 miles today and snapped some pics.
Body work/paint is next. After that I will decide on the power plant....hi-po 6 or small block.
Thanks again for the comments! :cheers:

View attachment June082014dusterdriveconcourse 051.jpg

View attachment June082014dusterdriveconcourse 052.jpg

View attachment June082014dusterdriveconcourse 053.jpg

View attachment June082014dusterdriveconcourse 057.jpg

View attachment June082014dusterdriveconcourse 063.jpg

View attachment June082014dusterdriveconcourse 064.jpg

-
Back