1970 duster passenger door sag

-

travism

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1970 duster and the passanger side door has about 2 inches of drop on it anyone have any ideas on how I could fix it? thanks

Pics? Two inches is alot. Are the hinge plates in the door intact or rotted loose? if everythin is in intact pins, bushings and adjust the door

Pics? Two inches is alot. Are the hinge plates in the door intact or rotted loose? if everythin is in intact pins, bushings and adjust the door
ill go take some pictures but I just replaced the pins and bushings

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0325.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

Shouldn't be (or need) a shim under the hinge at the bottom. Door looks like it has been damaged in that area. If your repairs tightened up the hinges (and you didn't put a bushing in an egg shaped hole) you'll need to try adjusting the hinges on the cowl side (accessed inside at the kick panel - top and bottom). Bottom hinge towards rear of car, top towards front, or combination of both. Just the bottom will likely do it. Loosen all the bolts on the cowl except one. With two people, loosen the bolt, lift the door, tighten, check. Rinse and repeat. A small movement at the hinge will translate to large movement at the rear of the door. May need to readjust the striker pin too.

Shouldn't be (or need) a shim under the hinge at the bottom. Door looks like it has been damaged in that area. If your repairs tightened up the hinges (and you didn't put a bushing in an egg shaped hole) you'll need to try adjusting the hinges on the cowl side (accessed inside at the kick panel - top and bottom). Bottom hinge towards rear of car, top towards front, or combination of both. Just the bottom will likely do it. Loosen all the bolts on the cowl except one. With two people, loosen the bolt, lift the door, tighten, check. Rinse and repeat. A small movement at the hinge will translate to large movement at the rear of the door. May need to readjust the striker pin too.
Thanks! ill try that tomorrow

Check with a local body shop. There is a door alignment tool made for this problem. It latches in the door latch with a padded slider bracket that slides on a long square channel and the end hooks on to the latch pillar post. You can use it for raising or lowering the door where standard alignment procedures don't work. I have one but mine is buried in storage from years ago. If i find a pic i will post it to help you out.

Check with a local body shop. There is a door alignment tool made for this problem. It latches in the door latch with a padded slider bracket that slides on a long square channel and the end hooks on to the latch pillar post. You can use it for raising or lowering the door where standard alignment procedures don't work. I have one but mine is buried in storage from years ago. If i find a pic i will post it to help you out.
ok thanks!

hey, I got the door close to where I want it but I noticed that the door is poking out towards the back of the door "not flush with the body" is that able to be adjusted? or is my door trash and I should just get a new one? id much rather repair it but if its gonna be more trouble them its worth I might aswell buy another one.

hey, I got the door close to where I want it but I noticed that the door is poking out towards the back of the door "not flush with the body" is that able to be adjusted? or is my door trash and I should just get a new one? id much rather repair it but if its gonna be more trouble them its worth I might aswell buy another one.
need pictures. can't really give any advice without seeing which way you need to go or what you have going on.

That adjustment is at the door side of the hinges too. Nut blocks inside the door will move so the door moves in and out of the jamb. I've never found a easy way to align a door. I loosen the bolts just enough to bump/fight the door in various directions, close to test, adjust again. I remove the latch post and get the door hung and swinging correct first. Align the post to latch lastly. Good luck with it.

I live near allentown Pa. If yours it is not damaged that bad I can help you fix it. I also have many other doors and hinges and can help you mount another if needed. It is kind of cold out there to be driving with the door hanging open. Steve

I live near allentown Pa. If yours it is not damaged that bad I can help you fix it. I also have many other doors and hinges and can help you mount another if needed. It is kind of cold out there to be driving with the door hanging open. Steve
Thanks! I appreciate it, but id have to put a temp and oil gauges in it before I made that long of a haul. and its bin kinda cold out, the slant six with long tube headers doesn't like the cold too much

-
Back