1970 Duster starter wire question.

-

Toqwik

Reaction score
So my 1970 D uster has a few wiring issues to figure out. If I hook up my battery I have no power to anything. The previous owner has a red wire that runs to the starter that goes on the slide on connector on top between the 2 big lugs. If you hook that wire to the + side of the battery the car comes to life. What color is the original wire suppose to be That goes on this push on lug of the starter and where does it go from there.

No idea WITHOUT PHOTOS!!! You "could" be talking about the starter relay, but the terminal on the relay that junctions power is a large bolt on stud and nut, not a "slide on" terminal

This is one that is connected incorrectly. The big stud on top is one relay contact, and a power/ battery junction. In this photo, the wire at the arrow in the middle "square" terminal is wrong. That terminal should ONLY have one wire which leads down to the starter solenoid (small terminal on the starter.

The yellow wire on the bottom is "start" from the key, and the bottom right, brown, is the neutral safety, which gets grounded in park or neutral, or if a stick, when you press in the clutch

dartstarterrelay-jpg.jpg

So I plugged a non original wire onto the slide on connector pictured between the 2 big lugs. The wire runs up to the relay. There is another owner applied red wire that I have to run to the + on the battery for the car to power up. How is this relay suppose to get power properly? What color wire? The previous owner had a homemade anti theft system and this is how he did it.

The 2 red wires at the top of the picture, one goes through the firewall and one is inside a piece of rubber hose going to the starter. This is also where the previous owner routed 2AWG wires through that grommet running to the trunk mounted battery. The red wire going through the firewall, if I touch it to positive the car comes alive.

I can't tell what you have. The one looks like a starter solenoid, but that is not what belongs in the car

Normally the largest, that is "main" battery hot cable either goes to the starter relay and then another wire down to the big stud on the starter. Both of these are the largest cables on the vehicle.

There is only one more wire to the starter "small" terminal, and this is normally about a no12 which comes to the starter from the starter relay. The key fires the starter relay, and the relay engages the starter solenoid. Your second photo shows a BUNCH of hacked up non original wire. And it's so dark I can't see crap

That’s exactly what I needed to know. Power goes straight to the starter on this car. I guess I need to get the right relay and go from there. If I put power to the small connector on the starter it will crank over with the key. I was really surprised it cranked. What color wire going to the relay is the ignition and which is start? The relay on mine doesn’t look like this one at all. Can someone post a picture of the correct relay for my car so I can purchase the correct one?

The photo I posted and the wire colors are correct. There are MINOR variations on mounting and location through different years cars. Re-read post 2

-
Back