1970 Duster Steering Column Install Help

-

FJRdoc

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I tried to install my steering column last night but I was not able to get the coupler to reach the steering box. I tried to pull on the steering shaft to see if it was collapsed but there was no movement. Everything looked intact when I had assembled the column. This is the original steering shaft and column that came out of the car and the original power steering box.
I have the 2 lower mounting plates installed under the raised lugs of the steering column tube. Should these be mounted above the lugs? Sorry I can't provide pictures but him at work right now.

Found the same thing when I went to install my column. Car had been in an accident years ago so upon removing and closer inspection found the column had been collapsed. The outer shell, made to collapse, needed some straightening (which lengthened it a bit), but the real problem was the main shaft. It also is made to collapse and is held in it's extended position by two plastic "pins". When the column has been collapsed there are no outward signs, the pins may look fine. To extend the shaft again, I had to put the inner shaft in a vise and tap the outer shaft with a hammer to lengthen it. The inner will not completely remove from the outer. So how much to extend? I assumed that the plastic "pins" go through the outer shaft and into the inner shaft without going all the way through, so I used a drill to drill out the plastic pins and locate the position on the inner shaft where the pin had been previously. You can't hurt the shafts as these are hardened steel. It turned out my shaft was about 1 1/2" collapsed. Replaced the plastic pin with a screw. That fixed the problem, re-install went well. Hope this helps.

The reason I'm wondering about the lower mounting plate position is that I removed the steering column for this car myself. Length was not a problem when it was in the car. During my restoration of the column, I was careful not to hammer on the shaft.

I think you have the position of the outer column correct. The three-bolt mounting plate goes below that "lug", bump. The purpose of that "lug" is to locate the upper column so that the three main mounting bolts will now locate themselves in the middle of the plastic inserts, allowing the column to collapse. When my car came apart there was no indication of any problem. Only when I tried to put things back together did I find a problem. One of the mysteries of life.

0703181728c.jpg

Here is a photo of my 70 Duster 340 4 speed column after removing it last summer

I worked on the steering column the other night. I compared pics of the lower end at the steering box attachment before I removed it with how the lower shaft looks now. It was collapsed! I have no idea how it happened but it did. I was able to get the lower part of the shaft out to length but it wasn't easy. It didn't just slide into position. It needed to be persuaded. Length is good now. My couple came apart so I will have the fun of putting that back together again.

The cover on the box coupling has a bottle cap sort of crimp on. That wont be easily corrected to stay put under the hood. It aint easy at the workbench either. The wire retainer available at ebay might be well worth your coins.
Rare Mopar 2996935 Steering Coupler Retaining Clamp - most Dodge Plymouth | eBay
And just for the sake of mentioning, The pulling you did on the lower end of the steering shaft was transmitted to a tiny snap ring above the inner race of upper bearing. That pizzy little bearing doesn't withstand a whole lot of stress. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Thanks RedFish. I have a retaining clamp to put on after the column is installed. I also went ahead and ordered a new upper bearing yesterday. It was in pretty good shape when I worked on the column before but I'm sure it's trashed now.

-
Back