1970 Duster upper grill support

-

bradford

Professional at nothing
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know this might be a stupid question, but I’m just stuck on the upper grill support. I know that the grill mounts to the upper support, but does the grill support mount to the body somehow. I’ve looked in my service manual and it’s not clearly defined. Any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Brad

IMG_0999.jpeg

IMG_1001.jpeg

IMG_1002.jpeg

IMG_1003.jpeg

Should be bolted to the fender edges from what I can see, wrong part possibly?
My recollection of a Dart is that they bolt to the fenders, and I am pretty sure it wouldn't be too different on a Duster.

Correct. Uses a bolt with a one of those black clip on nuts which is attached to flange on the fender.

IMG_20230723_112221.jpg

I know this might be a stupid question, but I’m just stuck on the upper grill support. I know that the grill mounts to the upper support, but does the grill support mount to the body somehow. I’ve looked in my service manual and it’s not clearly defined. Any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Brad

View attachment 1716118543

View attachment 1716118544

View attachment 1716118545

View attachment 1716118546

View attachment 1716118543

View attachment 1716118544

View attachment 1716118545

View attachment 1716118546
Looks like your fenders are missing the angle brackets that the grille support bolts to. They're a weld-on bracket, which is a shame you didn't know about before you painted. They're easy to make, but, I'll leave the installation decision up to you!

That sucks! That is very weird. But I did buy this car already in pieces, so I don’t know what happened to the mounting tabs on the fenders. I guess I’ll have to figure out a way to mount some tabs on the fenders. Thanks for the help

They may have included fenders from another year with your basket case. The only years that used those type of brackets was '70-2. The fender (with various mods) will interchange from '67-76.

I bet that’s what happened.

-
Back