"1970 Pro Touring Dart Build"

-

AnotherA

Reaction score
This will be the culmination of my previous build on the 71 turbo Dart.

As it currently sits.
IMG_1329-2.jpg

Close to final paint scheme. Wheels and tires will be different.
Will also be getting a home made 4 link and mini tub.
1970-dodge-dart-pic-green.jpg

Body work will be starting in ~2 weeks.

I already started the tear down of the 1990 360cid LA motor I bought a few years back. It was "rebuilt" about 40k ago is what the guy told me. After opening up the bottom end and looking at the main bearings one could see they were shot. Had an oblong wear pattern on them like there was play and it was knocking. After seeing that and it still having a stock cylinder bore size. It was decided to punch it .030 and stroke it to a 408cid.
What will make this build really nice is that between the years of 1989 -1992 Mother Mopar was in a transitional phase from the LA style motor over to the Magnum series. This block will work with all the older LA parts and the newer Magnum part. Plus it has a roller cam and lifters!

Degreased, sand blasted and painted the block so i wasn't working with a greasy mess. Gotta love olive drab.
IMG-20110507-00027.jpg

IMG-20110507-00030.jpg

308 casting heads. 1.88/1.60 valves.
IMG-20110507-00028.jpg

PLANS:
Block is going to Car Quest in Hutch to have Jeff work his magic on it.
Going to be working with him on building this into a 408cid stroker motor.
Basically it will use a cast 4.0 inch crank with forged stock length rods and hypernetic pistons.
Cam will probably be custom ground. Open to any recommendation.

Using the stock 308 heads right now. Will upgrade to RHS heads and RPM Air gap later.

Shooting for 10-10.5:1

Going to get my 904 rebuilt to handle the tq from the 408.

Will update as I have more details and pictures.

Going to try something different. Been looking at different metal hoods to skin an put on the Dart. I ran across this and for the price i got it for I couldn't say no.

A little time + welding + body work with this should = a cool hood for the dart.
_MG_2795.jpg

A twist on the Darts twin scoops.

I found the picture of that Dart on the internet then I used my imagination with photoshop and tested paint scheme ideas.

As usual things have changed.

Funds for the 408 and 4 link have been redirected to coil overs, rack and pinion, new front brakes and K member. I'll just refresh the 360 and stroke it at a later date when I have more funds.

New parts:
*I sent a check off to HemiDenny for his K member setup with coil over supports and small block motor mounts.

*RMS leaf spring relocation kit just came today.

*Badarts Lower radiator support is here also.

Searching for a local source for the following.
* square tubing for subframe connectors
* Metal for the mini tub.

As the car sits right now, I've stripped the interior out. And man am I happy with the condition of everything. I was tickled pink being able to break the nuts on the seat bolts loose and spin them off with my fingers! Clean floors, clean everything so far. Hopefully there aren't any big surprises once I start sanding.
Totally worth having the car shipped up here from AZ.

Found 2 build sheets.

Back seat.
buildsheet_underseat.jpg

Under the carpet.
cleanfloorpans.jpg

buildsheetundercarpet.jpg

Panorama of the trunk
trunk_Panorama.jpg

Working on the Cuda hood.

WorkArea.jpg

Will post pictures when we are done with the hood.

I really like that idea for your hood. I wish I would have taken the time to find a rust free car. Mine's lived it's whole life in Minnesota rust isn't fun. It looks like you've got quite a nice shop there to get some work done on your car. I'm looking forward to seeing it move ahead.

those hood scoops look like snake eyes starin' at me....

Minor update.

Bit the bullet and ordered the US Cartool SFC's.
Also got a spoiler from Randy's.

Buddy is picking up a rotisserie this weekend to get the Dart on.

Motor and trany are out.

Need to remove the fuel tank, grill and a couple other things, then on to the rotisserie it goes!

Anyone want to buy a 1978 360 with a Lunati cam and Edelbrock performer intake?
Does not include the valve covers.
IMG-20120205-00081.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

I like that. That will set your car off nicely, I may have to put that on my wish list

Been looking all over for a 46RH. Found a few, all but one were to expensive and trashed. Went and checked out the one today at the bone yard but it turned out to be the non lockup version. I did however score a 42RH.
Its not as stout but it should do the job for a few years.

I'd like to thank BRONZEBEE again for answering my barrage of questions on the 42RH today. I'll be getting in contact with you again to get a converter for it.

IMG-20120208-00109.jpg

This is Randy, spoilersbyrandy, I am glad you like the spoiler. That is a great looking project you have. I will have to keep watching your progress.

Test fitted the spoiler an I'm really pleased with the look and fitment.
Thank you for a great product Randy!

Fitted the SFC's today. Had to do a lot more grinding then I thought I would to get them to fit. But man is that going to make for a nice place to run brake lines, fuel lines and the positive battery cable.

SFC's won't get welded in until after the floor has been cleaned.

USCARTOOLSFCFittingdriversside.jpg

ThebeginingHDR1280.jpg

Buddy is checking with a local shop to see how much having the underside sand blasted will cost. The guy has done cars before and won't do the exterior because it will warp. The underside and engine bay shouldn't be an issue.

Hopefully its cheap enough to do. I'm going to be a sanding fool on the rest of the car.

Looking forward to watching your build. Gonna be one killer car when you are done.

Going to try something different. Been looking at different metal hoods to skin an put on the Dart. I ran across this and for the price i got it for I couldn't say no.

A little time + welding + body work with this should = a cool hood for the dart.
_MG_2795.jpg

A twist on the Darts twin scoops.

Oh Oh Oh I have so want to do this for some time now. I can't wait to see how yours turns out. Do you have a larger image of your avatar I'd love to see the photochop of the hood.

-
Back