1971 , 198 slant vacuum hose

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
What hose goes down to the side of the block near fuel pump & coil ? When it used to be hooked to my single barrel carter B&b all was find other than my carb was junk .
I converted to 2bbl yesterday and things are amazingly better . But when I hook that hose up it sucks oil into intake and I blow blue smoke out tail pipe . Why is this ? Is the 2bbl just have a much higher/ lower / deeper vacuum and sucking it up ?

disconnected no oil comes up the hose at all . I just have it venting under hood and nothing comes out and I plugged the port at carb .

why or how important is that hose ?

Does it go to the distributor ? Vacuum Advance ?

Pictures would speak a thousand words.

This site won't allow videos and not easily to do it tht way they want you do it . It's the only hose going down to the block next to fuel pump .

No again pcv hose goes from pcv valve on valve cover to the carb . Not from block down under motor where fuel pump is

roughly here . Not the vacuum advance . This line goes to a stub on the block itself and used to connect to my single barrel and Ran well and never smoked .

30688F19-7383-4407-AB87-990AE0620264.jpeg

You must have some other vacuum lines going on, possibly with the clean air package.

Without pics, you got me stumped.

You must have some other vacuum lines going on, possibly with the clean air package.

Without pics, you got me stumped.
Vacuum hoses on this 71 , vacuum advance from distributor to carb , pcv valve from valve cover to carb , air breather to air cleaner , and a air cleaner small one to carb , and one from block to carb .

If you are referring to the smallest one in this picture it is the vacuum advance to the distributor
D80B50AA-0FBA-4FEE-8326-F8AEFAAE1367.png

Alan

I am not Referring
If you are referring to the smallest one in this picture it is the vacuum advance to the distributor
View attachment 1715984678

Alan
referring to that at all and I keep saying I'm not talking about the vacuum advance that goes from the distributor to the carB . The line I'm referring to goes to the block right where the fuel pump is. I can't show it to you and there's no diagram showing it either I don't know what to do other than I thought someone would know what I'm talking about

Not the vacuum advance . It's much much bigger and again Ford from the block next to fuel pump to thr carb . Not the vacuum advance and not pcv line .

4CF9BB7C-DF0D-45AD-88A7-55DBB90B7F3C.jpeg

B236FEE4-3E7A-444D-AA3C-8B3EDE533ECA.jpeg

F59F020A-C5EA-4402-B439-0A133D4D7697.jpeg

6BAD3EE1-5C7F-479A-9FBC-926E3C8D4E09.png

30A8E832-454A-4475-A82C-7D22B29F9CE8.png

I can't get a pic of anything down under there but this is the hose and where it used to attach to the single barrel ball & ball .

8B187ECD-5EF6-4DE7-B129-0E7197916B7E.png

ABFBAEFC-BB98-42CE-A9F3-F4647864994D.png

This is what I have now and I hooked vacuum advance up and this block line up in nearly same place . I Have pvc hooked up on back side of the carb . And don't have breather hooked up at all as I can't run a air cleaner until I make one

783FAF78-1D88-44C5-8A5F-45051B71F22E.png

Small line goes to vacuum advance & large on goes to my block down almost behind my fuel pump I just can't get a picture.

The bigger hose on the carb is known as the " bowl vent ".
It usually goes to a charcoal canister, but in your case vents to the block some how. I would take it out of the equation if possible. If you can't scrounge a charcoal canister from a junked car, you can leave the bowl vent at the carb uncapped.

71 didn't have canister yet. And love it if someone educated says get ride it if it I will . That diagram doesn't match my stock set up at all . I appreciate you all though .

-
Back