1971 360 harmonic balancer question?

-

lee g

Reaction score
I will soon start assembling my 71 360 and I need a harmonic balancer. Is there any difference in the La series 360 harmonic balancer? I looked on eBay and see that some OE styles state 1978 and later La years.

............., they r certainally different looking........71-77 has a big ellipictical weight on the front of it where the pulley mounts..............78 up the weight is taken out from the inside [back] of the damper.........i cant say 4 sure if they r weighted differently, but i think not, as mopar only list the converter balancing weights as LA or magnum.......kim.........

I'm sure the balancer you need to be correct, has got the big weight mounted on the front of the balancer. On the face of the balancer, it should be casted in there, should say ( for 360 cast crank motor). Hope this helps. Either try Ebay or push the search tab on the top of home page and seach, 360 Balancer. Ive seen some on this site sometime's. Good Luck.

some of the balancers have a counter weight added some have the opposite side milled out The milled balancer is lighter and prefered for more torque. eiter wil work. LA only

I'm sure the balancer you need to be correct, has got the big weight mounted on the front of the balancer. On the face of the balancer, it should be casted in there, should say ( for 360 cast crank motor). Hope this helps. Either try Ebay or push the search tab on the top of home page and seach, 360 Balancer. Ive seen some on this site sometime's. Good Luck.

The "cast in" information only applies to 340 cast crank engines. 360 LA engines only have a blank counterweight or a section machined out.

I have a stock 72 360 balancer, perfect condition, it's painted mopar blue, let me know if your interested.

Sent you a pm 412 stroker. Thanks for everybody's replies.

I will soon start assembling my 71 360 and I need a harmonic balancer. Is there any difference in the La series 360 harmonic balancer? I looked on eBay and see that some OE styles state 1978 and later La years.

Are you assembling the engine with original internal parts or have rods and/or pistons been replaced with aftermarket units?

Factory balance jobs were "adequate", but if you start changing things out, the rotating assembly should be balanced with the crank using the balancer/damper and weighted flexplate. (Not sure how well it would work to spin it with the OEM flexplate and externally balanced converter attached.)

-
Back