1971 Alt issues

-

scott2683

Reaction score
Took the engine out of the car for a rebuild, when we put the engine back in the alt was froze up, no big deal, called the auto parts store and got a replacement. The old alt had 2 fields and the new alt has one field and a ground. I connected the new alt up, ground and all, now I'm having overcharging issues with the car, it maxes out at 18 volts.

My question is should I find another alt that has two field terminals or does this even matter? Do I need to look into grounding issues? I've read a few threads on this matter and there are a lot of solutions, but I just wanted to know, if I even got the right alt for it.

Thanks,

The new Alt should have 2 field wires. One Pos & 1 neg. If you go directly to ground, you'll full field the Alternator. It sounds like your old Alternator is like my '73 with 2 Clip on field wires(Female Spades)???

Thanks, which would explain why I am pegging my voltage meter. So I need to swap it out for the correct alt.

Thanks, which would explain why I am pegging my voltage meter. So I need to swap it out for the correct alt.
Sounds like the easiest way to fix it. The one you have may be usable but It may take some creative wiring.

I'll just swap it out for the right one, I appreciate the help guys!!

Just wanted to say thanks for the help, I swapped the alt out for one that has two field posts and she's good to go now. Looks like its staying between 12-14 volts now!

Please take that alternator and beat the "parts guy" soundly

-
Back