1971 Carb Identification

-

71Demon

Reaction score
How can you tell if the carb is correct on a 71 340 Duster. Are there numbers to look for??

On the bottom front or rear edge of the mounting tab there is a number stamped in the carb, that is usually the one. There could be a small aluminum tag held on by a screw but these are usually missing.

It's a 4 spd car. So I'll look for the 4972. Thanks

WOW mine has 9472. any possibilty it was mis-stamped or is that another carb number?

From what I've read , the 1971 model year ThermoQuads were 'recalled' and replaced under warranty with the 1972 model T.Q.
Not sure how many , if any , original 1971 m.y. T.Q.'s are still around because of this recall
( I'm sure they were scrapped ) .

As far as p.n.'s , I don't know . 66340SEDAN mentions the tin ( or aluminum perhaps ) triangular tag that's attached to the factory-installed carbs . IF you can find one on yours , it's easy to decode ; it'll have the build date of the carb in Julian Calendar dating ( e.g. , "3600" = 360th day of 1970 ) , as well as the carb's model number .

Numbers and date stamped on rear bottom by mounting hole, most t-quads didn't have tags from factory,I don't think there was an official recall on the carbs, if one was a problem carb they would just go ahead and replace with a 72. Many experts and Class racers agree the 71 t-quad makes a bit more power than the rest due to the air metered design, but the later ones are easier to find parts for and tune. They are still around and valuable i just sold one of my four the other day for $275.

Attachments

• 022 (1280x853).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 3na3oa3pc5Y05P45X5a8h3b26b970dd4a10f3.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 130
They are easy to identify by the angled mixture screws and the front bowl vent.

Numbers and date stamped on rear bottom by mounting hole, most t-quads didn't have tags from factory,I don't think there was an official recall on the carbs, if one was a problem carb they would just go ahead and replace with a 72. Many experts and Class racers agree the 71 t-quad makes a bit more power than the rest due to the air metered design, but the later ones are easier to find parts for and tune. They are still around and valuable i just sold one of my four the other day for $275.

Thanks for the info 8) .

I'd read somewhere , years ago , that the 71's were recalled and replaced with "solid fuel metre" carbs , as opposed to the "air metre" design of the 1971 models .
Really , that's a lot of Greek to me , as I'm not horribly rehearsed on carb tech .
However , thanks for sharing this excellent info with all of us :-D .

$275 seems like a screamin' deal for one of the best carbs ever made !

-
Back