1971 Dart Swinger

-
It will definitely be getting a restoration, I can't stand the beater look.
Not sure if I will start it this winter or next.

Speaking of long burn outs and seeing corn fields... hahaha
Sorry for the crappy video. I was taking pictures and trying to video tape at the same time.

Picked up a 6 pack hood scoop to cover the speed hole in the hood.

Will post pictures once its on.

I ran off the WG spring today.
It felt good up to about 10lbs and then it starts to break up.
I believe the spring will take it to 15lbs, the furthest it got on any run was 14.
I know that is A LOT to ask on a 1974 bone stock 318 with 185k on it. But its going to take it whether it likes it or not. :-D

I think its a combination of a few things.
I gapped the new NGK GR5 plugs to .030 and I need it closer to probably .025.
Run better fuel then the 92 and 108 octane boost that's in it.
And I really need to get a 6BTM or 6AL-2 and a new distrib to run this much boost. I don't believe the stock distrib and plug wires are up to par for the job.

Had the timing locked at 25.
Fuel pressure was 32psi at WOT.

Going to go do some more research and continue adding to my shopping list.

I'm thinking the spark is getting blown out and the distrib is worn out.

I've been looking at the MSD 6AL2 Programmable ignition controller and will probably be going with that one over the 6BTM.
I'm not sure what distributor i should go with, a Billet 121-8534 or Street Pro-Billet 121-8388.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Brought it home for the winter. Took the hood, grill, fenders, bumper and lower valence off.
They will be my first attempt at body work. The **** box look is driving me nuts.

frontendtornoff.jpg

frontendtornoff2.jpg

The last start up for the year.

Love this build. I am planning on a single 76 on my 416 so I'm getting lots of good tips from your build.

One question, did you have to modify the alt brackets to swap them to the drivers side?

Keep up the good work.

Yep the alternator bracket had to be modified.
Had to add length to it.

I saw this kit for sale on the parts. I know its not yours but look at the pic and I really had to look at it to figure it out.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Race&Number=5514993&page=0&fpart=all
Look about half way down the page.

SB Turbo Kit For Sale, Designed for 67-76 A-Body with manual steering, will probably fit others...

Precision PT67, Tial 38 Wastegate and 50 Blow Off
2.5 inch mandrel bent, Tig Welded, Stainless Crossover
3 Inch Polished Aluminum Cold Side
3 Inch Downpipe
Extreme Velocity Carb Hat
Braided Oil Lines
Quality Silicone Connectors

Turbo rated to 750 Horsepower. Kit will support 650-700 easy with an intercooler.

My nearly stock 318 has been 11.54 and 118MPH, with a soft launch on 12-13 lbs of boost, with 3.54 gears and a 28 inch tire in a 3600 lb race weight car. With Edelbrock heads the car would run 10's.

Kit gets tons of looks, its quality built. No problems changing plugs, removing valve covers, or getting the downpipe in or out.

Bolt this kit on your stocker 318/340/360 and make 500+ horsepower.

$2800 + the ride...
PM me here, or dartinaround at comcast.net

Yeah thats TopFuelDarts kit. I was talking to him about buying his kit a while back but then decided that I wanted to build one up myself to make sure everything fit the way I wanted it to.
I wouldn't have an issue in buying that kit, if I hadn't wanted to cut my own teeth on fabrication.

Started the body work. I fully admit i'm in over my head with this stuff now. But at least I have a great teacher for a friend.

First thing I tore into was fixing the front drivers side fender.

Surprise, Surprise!!!
someone fiberglassed this hole up... Thanks for that. :tard:
IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

I can't wait to see what kind of **** is under the quarters.

I will be buying full quarter panels, I'm not sure who to get them from yet though.
Heard a few good things about Auto Metal Direct having great fitting panels.

My 70 Swinger was real rusty, it needed quarters, roof skin, trunk floor, passenger side front floor, fenders, doors, trunk lid, and I threw a fiberglass hood at it after the blaster attempted to blast the skin! So keep at it, its worth it. I have installed AMDs panels as well as other companies. The AMD stuff fits like a replacement should, the others are junk.

Nice '71! I've always liked the '70 and '71 front end best.
That turbo set up is soooo bitchin'. Hoping to do a similar build in my '71 Demon. I'm running a '72 360 instead of a 318. Pretty much everything else is similar. Keep us all posted. Thanks.

My hat is off to you AnotherA. I'm a 16year vet of fwd turbo dodge. The only thing I really see that you would definitely benefit from "besides a build for boost short block" would be an intercooler and maybe a water/methanol injection kit. I have been considering building my 67 fast back cuda with boost and efi. Thank you for posting tons of pics!!! :cheers:

Fender has been fixed. Patch panel was fabricated and a donor Dart provided the top portion of the fender.

On to the next body panel... yee haaaa..... .....

Man you ride looks just like mine when i bought it two weeks ago. but i only gave 2.500 for mine . still very sharpe car you have .. need to put some new 1/4 panels which i got when i bought it.

!BlDutww!2k~$(KGrHqYH-DYEs+7I3I6+BL,Gul,Ghw~~_12.jpg

!BVP6zvQBWk~$(KGrHgoOKicEjlLmZ3G2BKRkvmwuSw~~_12.jpg

Coming right along...:cheers: Have you noticed the increased number of turbo projects, both here on FABO and in the car mags? Gotta love it!!

Pretty ballsy running some of those double digit boost numbers without an intercooler.

Coming right along...:cheers: Have you noticed the increased number of turbo projects, both here on FABO and in the car mags? Gotta love it!!

Pretty ballsy running some of those double digit boost numbers without an intercooler.

I've noticed the same thing. We aren't so special anymore... :dontknow:

1970 Dodge Dart Swinger. 340/904 with a 7 1/4 rear. Original /6 car. Been in AZ its whole life and for the last 6.5 years has been in a steel storage container in the back of the sellers place in Scottsdale.

I received the car this morning at 8am. I'm happy with it and I don't think i could have found a cleaner Dart.

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

The small rear diff has to go. Putting an 8 3/4 in it.
IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

Oooooo shiny!!

IMG_1059.jpg

The 340 will get replaced with the roller vavletrain 360 I have.

IMG_1056.jpg

I think the winter craziness:tongue10: has kicked in fully force now.

Hi!
could you please post some pics of your exhaust after the turbo, down behind the engine,and around the torsion-bar!? I tried this same setup,but it was too close to everything... I'm using 3" after the turbo.

sorry for dusty pic...

BTW, good job,and a cool car! (and good luck with another project...it's not a hobby, it's a disease!)
BR from Norway

engine.jpg

-
Back