-
Status
Not open for further replies.

73cuda

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
My friend has a 1971 Demon 340 for sale - car is down south (GA): $6000...offers?

It's a project but has some REALLY cool features..I told him I would post on here before he does the ebay thing. Hope it can find a good mopar home.. if I didn't already have the same car ('71 Demon 340) I would ship this one for me!

The Good
Real H code car
The 340 is #'s matching...not sure about the 727, yet
Hemi Orange on black with white stripes
Sport hood car AND those hard to find original scoops are still there!
The vin plate, fender tag, door tag & body panels are all there & all #'s match (no broadcast sheet, though)
99% complete car & comes w/ cool extra parts (grill, fenders, tail lights)
Sold with current GA registration & bill of sale

The Bad
The car needs resto (floor pans, quarters)
It's a roller - not a running/driving car today
It's missing some original parts (valve covers/carb/air cleaner/wheels/radio/exhaust manifolds)

I decoded the vin / fender tag:

Code Description
E55 340-4 Barrel 69-73
D32 H-D A-727 TorqueFlite Trans / Some Years A-998
L Dodge Dart / Demon
M M = Medium
29 29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop
H 340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
1 1971
B Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
451xxx Sequence #
EV2 Paint Code: Hemi Orange / Tor-Red Irid
E Economy (trim)
2 Vinyl Bench
X9 Black (interior)
701 Date Built: 7/01/1971
424937 Order Number: 424937
EV2 Roof Type OR Color: Hemi Orange / Tor-Red Irid
U Built to Specifications for USA Order
B51 Power Assisted Brakes
G36 Left Hand Remote, Right Hand Manual Outside Mirror
H31 Rear Window Defogger - Blower
J54 Sport Hood 70-1
U21 8.25 x 15 Black Side Wall
M25 Wide Sill Molding
M43 Grill Surround Molding
N41/N42 Duel Chrome Exhaust Tips
V6W White Longitude Sports Stripe
V8W Transverse Stripe - White
EN1 End of Codes Assembly Line 1

front.JPG

pass.JPG

eng.JPG

int.JPG

trunk.JPG

under.JPG

i spoke to steve 2 weeks ago. i could have bought it for 3000.00

Hey John!
You must know of every Demon in the country :)

My buddy lives right next door to this & got a great deal....he was going to sell his Chevelle after this but has since decided to restore his 70 ragtop - I tried to convince him otherwise!! Lost a mopar man..

Anyway, best offer takes it..why didn't you grab it John?

I was wordy with the description & my buddy just caught an error - the price!
$5000 - offers (sorry)

ebayed...but if anybody wants to offer here - let me know.
If no offers, looks like he'll be mopar man after all :)

Good luck with E-bay. Sorry, IMO, 5g's is alot for a rusted shell.

Yea....put a high buy-it-now on ebay.
Hate dealing with the "what will you sell it now to end auction early"

Listening to all offers!
It's got some cancer on the floors/quarters but it's a good one to restore - done they bring about 20-25k, right?

Can't imagine it would take more than 10-15k to do...
I'm seeing rough 340 shell cars going for 3500-4000 without the motor/tranny!

Curious, what do you guys think this one is worth?

Tranny is NOT #'s matching but motor is.

Again will need resto (frame rails good - but floors/quarters soft)
Motor probably should be freshened up, too..

that's fair & probably what he'd take if offered....thanks for the feedback!

No problem it def has some potential. I myself wouldnt mind having it but ive allready got to much stuff now lol.

Trust me I know how that is....I've got too many cars & parts at the moment or I would have taken it off his hands. My wife "loves" this hobby :)

~~IMO~~ Its a nice start to a 340 car, but without the original parts that are missing especially the motor you can't get original dollars for the car. So you can toss $20-$25K out the window when done.

If the car has all of its documents: Title (clean) Vin plate & Build Sheets then I would say you could maybe, maybe get $4000 for the project to a Demon guy who is looking for exactly those options on your car. BUt your missing the BUild sheet so $4000 might be a bit of a stretch, but you could get that if your are willing to wait for the right buyer.

For the amount of rust in the floor etc I personally would say somewhere between $2700 & $3400 would be a good fair price for the car. Coming from the rust belt in PA I wouldn't spend more than that just due to I know what it "really" costs to replace that much sheet metal once you actually get into it, it always ends up as more than just patch the floors and replace the 1/4's.

Just My Opinion but $2700 - $3400 with hopes of being able to resell when done in the $15-$17K range isn't too off. But even at that its a gamble on the economy to get that kind of money for a non 100% numbers car.

I really hope you get at least what you need to break even, but with a post that someone could have bought it for $3000 a week prior that's hurting you right from the start.

A car from Georgia with that kind of rust? That looks like a car you'd see up here in the Northeast. I agree, $3k is still a bit steep for the car. If the car was closer I could see my way clear of offering maybe $2500 for the car. I would be hard pressed to offer that much though when I would most likely have to spend close to a grand getting the car up to New York. Sure wish it was closer. :(

~~IMO~~ Its a nice start to a 340 car, but without the original parts that are missing especially the motor you can't get original dollars for the car. So you can toss $20-$25K out the window when done.

For what it's worth, it has the #'s matching motor and a fender tag...

Lastly, I'm selling this for a friend who apparently shouldn't have bought this car. He decided in the middle of the deal that he needed $ for an LS5 motor he found for his 1970 Chevelle convertible.

I know it's a bad time to sell a car & this has a lot of rust.
But wouldn't the parts alone fetch more than $2500~...
I have a 1971 GoGreen 340 Demon project & would never recommend parting this -- it's got a fender tag & matching motor & is pretty complete (plus comes with some cool extra parts: spare rear lights, grill, deck lid, fenders!)

For what it's worth, it has the #'s matching motor and a fender tag...

Lastly, I'm selling this for a friend who apparently shouldn't have bought this car. He decided in the middle of the deal that he needed $ for an LS5 motor he found for his 1970 Chevelle convertible.

I know it's a bad time to sell a car & this has a lot of rust.
But wouldn't the parts alone fetch more than $2500~...
I have a 1971 GoGreen 340 Demon project & would never recommend parting this -- it's got a fender tag & matching motor & is pretty complete (plus comes with some cool extra parts: spare rear lights, grill, deck lid, fenders!)

As with anything else, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. What makes it hard is the cost of transporting a car as well. Depending on where the car is, one can expect to pay over an extra grand to get a car transported to their doorstep. That tends to make people shy away from spending alot for a car when they have to factor in the cost of shipping said car.
By your own admission, the car has alot of rust and needs ALOT of work to make it roadworthy again. Even with fender tags and matching numbers, it's still going to cost alot of $$$ to get the car back into order. If it was a Charger or a Roadrunner or something like that you'd have people beating a path to the car. That's one of the downsides to buying old cars like this. The chances of getting your money back are slim to none and one almost always takes a loss when trying to sell something they originally anitcipated fixing up.
I'm not saying this car isn't WORTH what he wants, all I'm saying is what something is worth and what someone is willing to pay seldom ends up being the same figure. Basically, if I was to buy the car for $2500, I'm looking at an extra $750 to $1000 to get the car home. That immediately ups the initial cost of the car to $3250 - $3500 for this car and I haven't touched it with a wrench yet. See what I'm trying to say?

Once again just my opinion.

"But wouldn't the parts alone fetch more than $2500~..." -- Honestly from what I saw in the pics, yes the parts are worth around $2500 (but only if it has a 8.75 suregrip still in it (IMO)) .

Just look at the parts pages and you can see how long most of us are sitting on our parts. But at $2500 for the whole car I think this car would sell to someone close to you fairly quickly since the shipping would not be a factor.

Basically what you are seeing if you read the thread the consensus seems to be that its worth $2500, not at the $4-$6K your buddy is hoping to get. Granted if your buddy can sit on the car for 2-3 years he will get more, but right now that a lot of money for a rusted out shell.

Even for me in PA that car has a ton of suspicious rust in the floors, so one has to wondering what else is wrong with it, what is leaking window wise to cause that much rust in the floors, or did it sit in GA mud for a long time. Its just a lot of rust for a southern car.

If the car was in PA or close to PA I would seriously consider it at $2500.

I would think for $2500 someone would buy that car. You know that frame is solid in the front, at least in that one area, because the jack is under it lifting it up.

I hear you guys....and I understand on the shipping - otherwise I would have grabbed it from him.

I guess the balls in his court if he wants to take a hit or hold onto it..thanks for the feedback!

i spoke to steve 2 weeks ago. i could have bought it for 3000.00

Should have got sh-t but you got off the pot, I see it happen all the time. Instead of buying the car you kill this guys chance of selling it..... Hatered stems from jealousy. :bootysha:

It seems to me that the census is that he didnt pay anything for it so its worth less than what he paid. Back in October I sold a 340 Demon for $1000. No motor or trans, or 8.75 but it rolled, Petty Blue. Car was shot needed everything, went to Nevada from Mass for $1700. That adds up to $2700. with no wrenches turned. The guy wanted that car no matter the cost. Its what someones willing to pay. Be glad its back for sale, make an offer, dont miss it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back