1971 Demon 340 Inside out build "Demon-Rat"

-

67Dart440GT

Seriously Long Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought this 1971 Demon 340 this spring. I bought this car to "drive" while I finish my other major restoration "Pig Pen" the 1967 Dart Gt.

I bought this car here in Wisconsin from an elderly couple. This car looks to have been slapped together to be a drag car. There were some major red flags when I inspected the car but the price was right, and I wanted a Demon so I bought it.

The car looks good from a distance but the car is really rough structurally. The previous owner did an absolute hack job on the car.

This summer I went through a few things making it at least safe to drive. Most of the lights didn't work, dash lights were burned out, had a pretty bad oil leak, no heater, wheel bearing noise in the front and a few other issues.

The car has no build sheet or fender tag. I have tried pretty hard to track down the previous owners but non of them have been very interested in helping me find the fender tag.

The Demon originally looks to be a column shift, b5 blue ac car. Someone took the numbers match engine as well. It does have a sure grip 8 3/4 727 and a 71 340.

I converted this car back to a Mopar ignition system and ditched their msd set up. I am going for more if an oem restoration on this car.

After taking care of 90% of the leaking oil I just couldn't deal with the oil leak and pulled the motor.
As usual this escalated quickly like most of my projects do!

A buddy of mine who used to be an engine builder tore the 340 down with me to inspect it. Bearings were pretty worn so I decided to send it out to the machine shop. The block had .040 pistons in it already and the machine shop took it to .060. I have decided to throw a 4inch stroker crank in this and will be having some custom pistons made. I will be upgrading the rods as well to forged eagle I beams.

I am a body man and painter by trade so I am going to take care of the structural issues while the engine is being done. This car will get floors from front to rear, a driver rear frame rail, inner rockers, firewall, aprons, inner wheel wells, and both front frame rails.

Wish me luck!

20211006_194829.jpg

20211008_195247.jpg

20211014_161415.jpg

20211016_123939.jpg

20211020_125536.jpg

20211025_185505.jpg

20211025_185510.jpg

20211025_190036.jpg

It looks more like B7 Jamaican blue, but photos can change the color. Super rare and desireable. Subscribed!

Great work. I am the same way I can never leave things as they are . When I dig in it always turns into a project. Only one way to fo things and that usually ends up being a PROJECT. I'll watch your build. Steve

As usual, stellar work. It'll be one badass Demon when you're done. You're going to have to rename both projects when you get done with them.

It looks more like B7 Jamaican blue, but photos can change the color. Super rare and desireable. Subscribed!

I really don't have any information to say what is what. I thought the same thing when I looked at the chips. I don't have my 71 books anymore. 72 is as far back as it goes. Under the master cylinder is very dark blue... but on top of the cowl and package tray it is much lighter blue. If only I had the build sheet or fender tag!

They did the trunk in black paint and undercoating!
Its funny my car had the black paint under the hood also. i pulled the engine and did some "scrubbing" to get it off down to body color. i think I used carb cleaner or something it was many years ago. i have since stripped it down and repainted it but usually rattle can paint will come off with cab cleaner.

Looking at that cowl pic, it looks like it may have been B5 originally, then someone painted it B7. By the time you strip all of the old paint off of it, it will lose 75 lbs. LOL. Keep up the good work!

:thumbsup:

Looking at that cowl pic, it looks like it may have been B5 originally, then someone painted it B7. By the time you strip all of the old paint off of it, it will lose 75 lbs. LOL. Keep up the good work!

:thumbsup:

The color is actually a very dark pearl. I scanned it with my color camera and it pointed me to a Honda color code. I have mixed 1971 B5 in Ppg and Omni and it isn't remotely close to the cowl. Under the master cylinder and on the front frame rails it is much deeper blue. The package tray suggests B5 as well. I did mix some B7 today to do a spray out card but didn't have time to do it today. This is 1971 B7 in Ppg.

Resized952021121395141611.jpg

And here is 2306 1971 B5 blue to the cowl. The picture with the spray card next to the 72 B5 is from.my color camera.

20210930_175237.jpg

Resized952021101495161415(1).jpg

Chrysler did have a B9. Could it be that?

Chrysler did have a B9. Could it be that?
I personally think it is B5. The thing people have to understand is the color formulas change over time. These were lead based colors and they do not have those kind of toners anymore. You couldn't correctly recreate them if you want. I have to have my jobber mix these in ppg because the line I spray nixed most older colors from their library recently so I can't mix them at work anymore. It will be interesting to see this b7 sprayed tomorrow. There was no b9 in 71.

-
Back