1971 Demon High School built race car.

-

Rob Eppler

My Dart Charger...home made!
Reaction score
I have been teaching H.S. Automotive for some 38 years now. Our program has been building many different cars throughout my career. Mostly Mopars! Since 1991 we have built and maintained [rebuilt it a few times] a junk yard 71 Demon. I rescued this car from a salvage yard in Alabama back in 1987. I paid $150.00 for this hot rod! This car was in pieces for several years. Paint/body/suspension...you know the routine. In 1990 this vehicle was in Hot Rod magazine [not finished but still there!] "High School Hero" pg. 56. Speed forward! In 1996 the Demon traveled to Detroit Autorama. [can't remember how we did] However, this year 2016 we once again took this car. [same paint & graphics] to the same show] This time first place was awarded to "Team Jefferson" A great accomplishment for our many members. [A special thanks to Chandler West for his outstanding work on the car and many accomplishments outside the vehicle....coat, and sign board inside the car for members only...and it looks awesome] Now a little about the car. It is a 360 powered [10.70 compression ratio] 904 trans & 8.75 rear axle with 4.30 gears. The intake is a modified W-5 to fit our Edlebrock cylinder heads. As usual a good set of headers keep the exhaust sounding "sweet" A small mechanical cam, .540/.560 lift and 248 degrees duration @ .050 make this small block sound off! Even thou we can only run 12.00 in the High School Nationals, the car, far exceeds this by starting out in 2nd gear! Drivers this year pushed this car down into the 11.50's @ 118! Crazy but true! I would not have believed it had I not been there to witness this. My drivers weigh 130 lbs and 190 lbs. Both drivers clicked off this mph over and over again! We did not do well this year at the Nationals held at Milan Dragway, Milan Michigan but we had a great turnout!

IMG_1967.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG

Demon @ H.S. nats. 2003.jpg

I have been teaching H.S. Automotive for some 38 years now. Our program has been building many different cars throughout my career. Mostly Mopars! Since 1991 we have built and maintained [rebuilt it a few times] a junk yard 71 Demon. I rescued this car from a salvage yard in Alabama back in 1987. I paid $150.00 for this hot rod! This car was in pieces for several years. Paint/body/suspension...you know the routine. In 1990 this vehicle was in Hot Rod magazine [not finished but still there!] "High School Hero" pg. 56. Speed forward! In 1996 the Demon traveled to Detroit Autorama. [can't remember how we did] However, this year 2016 we once again took this car. [same paint & graphics] to the same show] This time first place was awarded to "Team Jefferson" A great accomplishment for our many members. [A special thanks to Chandler West for his outstanding work on the car and many accomplishments outside the vehicle....coat, and sign board inside the car for members only...and it looks awesome] Now a little about the car. It is a 360 powered [10.70 compression ratio] 904 trans & 8.75 rear axle with 4.30 gears. The intake is a modified W-5 to fit our Edlebrock cylinder heads. As usual a good set of headers keep the exhaust sounding "sweet" A small mechanical cam, .540/.560 lift and 248 degrees duration @ .050 make this small block sound off! Even thou we can only run 12.00 in the High School Nationals, the car, far exceeds this by starting out in 2nd gear! Drivers this year pushed this car down into the 11.50's @ 118! Crazy but true! I would not have believed it had I not been there to witness this. My drivers weigh 130 lbs and 190 lbs. Both drivers clicked off this mph over and over again! We did not do well this year at the Nationals held at Milan Dragway, Milan Michigan but we had a great turnout!

View attachment 1714931636

View attachment 1714931637

View attachment 1714931639

That is one cool Demon! I would have taken auto shop in high school if they were building projects like this! They never did anything performance oriented in my schools auto shop. Keep up the good work!

Hats off to you and your program. It's great that you are getting kids involved in the sport/hobby.

Man that's awesome, our high school body shop class had a convertible tempest, prob still there unfinished.

SWEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!! Great job and thanks for teaching our kids!

View attachment 1714931636

View attachment 1714931637

View attachment 1714931639
Great job on the car, I like it!

I have a very soft spot in my heart for the Demons, If you look at my avatar, you will see the picture of my '71 Demon bracket car. Mine weighs just under 2600 with my fat butt in it, it sports a 408 stroker with 727 RMV trans & trans brake, Dana 60 with Strange guts including their spool gears & axles. Runs on 29.5 x 10 x 15 slicks & has tripped the lights in the low 10's. We'll she if she gets any faster.

We werent using my 69 dart,max wedge,auto,narrowed dana so off it went with a friend who taught r.o.p. auto shop at claremont high school in ca. Used and abused for 10 years. This was in the 90s. 10s at L.A.C.R. a lot of kids drove that car.

-
Back