1971 Demon - My First Mopar Build

-
Thanks! The blasting is just for paint removal. Mostly because I found out early on in the build that the car had been wrecked and I want to see what's been done. I've found a couple of spots where they used lead to make the repairs. Only rust issue was the spare tire well which I replaced. I have the fenders off the Swinger and the car is scheduled to be glass blasted Thursday. I'll post more pics when I get the car out of the garage and set up for blasting.

This car looks great! I had some weird adhesive on a sunroof on my duster. I used PB Blaster to melt it. It probably doesn't work on all adhesives, but it did on that particular hack job.

The rims are American Racing Special Edition. At least that's what the center hub has on it. 17x8 front and 18x9 rear, Continental Extreme Contact ZR tires 215/50 front 275/45 rear.

Attachments

• Tire 1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 399
Are you blasting the under the car, or just the top painted surfaces?

Just the exterior, engine bay, dash, and both sides of the hood and trunk lid. The undercarriage is in great shape and already painted. As is the interior.

Just wondering because the blasting material will end up everywhere, and quickly destroy suspension parts, tie rods, bushing etc.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll wrap everything that might possibly be an issue. Since they are not blasting the undercarriage or any suspension parts it should be okay.

That looks like a killer project, but I would also add that that swinger is a good builder too, WAY to solid to part out... I wouldn't part it out just to fix the demon, I would fix them both!

That looks like a killer project, but I would also add that that swinger is a good builder too, WAY to solid to part out... I wouldn't part it out just to fix the demon, I would fix them both!

The longer I've had the Swinger the more I'm inclined to agree with you. Some of the parts I was planning on using for the Demon won't fit so more of the Swinger is intact. I am using the front seat and front fenders off the Swinger. Saved $600 by doing that which will pay for the media blasting. I still have the Demon fenders which are solid but dented up and I'm no body man at all. Just have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks for the input!

Here's a couple more pics of the wheels and tires. I'm hoping I can lower the back of the car some with blocks and longer U-bolts so that it doesn't have such a raked look to it.

Attachments

• Tire 3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 371
  • Tire 2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 388
Speedway motors is a good source for the lowering blocks, they have them in 1/4 inch increments, and at a good price too..

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to get it all together and undo the current U-bolts to achieve the desired height and then measure it for the correct size blocks. Unless there is another way of doing it.

Do a search on here for "flip or flipping spring hangers".
Another way is to buy aftermarket spring hangers.

Here are some "before" pics of the car prior to media blasting. They are going to use glass which will not warp the panels like garnet or aluminum oxide can. It leaves a better profile for coating adherence than soda plus glass doesn't have the need for washing and neutralizing like soda.

The top of the hood is pristine so I'm not blasting it, just the under side.

I'll post some "post" blast pics later today.

Attachments

• Blast 4.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 356
  • Blast 7.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 357
  • Blast 5.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 354
  • Blast 6.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 358
  • Blast 3.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 363
  • Blast 2.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 351
  • Blast 1.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 365
The media blasting is finished. Everything came out great and there were no surprises! Yippee!!!

Attachments

• Blast 12.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 358
  • Blast 11.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 348
  • Blast 10.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 345
  • Blast 9.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 348
  • Blast 8.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 357
Trying to get as much done as I can. Got the direct to metal primer on and she's back in the shop. Unfortunately this is probably where it will get slow. I can do all the body work except work metal to look decent. I'm not a fan of large amounts of filler at all. I've been looking for someone to straighten the passenger side of the car since I bought it and they either won't do it because "insurance claims pay better" or they want way too much money. There is a body shop school in Austin and I may see if one of their "upper classmen" may want to make some money in the evenings or weekend. The car is remarkably straight and free of any serious rust problems for its age.

Thanks for all the replies! They keep me motivated to go out and do more.

Here are some more pics.

Attachments

• Blast 17.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 345
  • Blast 16.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 355
  • Blast 15.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 345
  • Blast 14.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 339
  • Blast 13.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 336
That is some really clean sheet metal.
How much did it cost you to blast it?

It was $675.00. Took him a little over 4 hours. The interior is in great shape and didn't need to be blasted which helped.

I've been working on modifying the dash the past couple of days. The previous owner had screwed on a cheesy hand made cover plate over the heater controls. The screws weren't even aligned. I'm adding a Vintage Air Gen II system and using their control box. I'm also adding a single DIN stereo so will relocate the stereo closer to the steering column, filling in the original heater control opening, and cutting an opening for the AC controls.

Here are some pics of the progress so far.

Attachments

• Dash 11.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 334
  • Dash 10.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 329
  • Dash 9.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 337
  • Dash 8.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 340
  • Dash 7.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 313
  • Dash 6.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 320
  • Dash 5.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 338
  • Dash 4.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 334
  • Dash 3.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 319
Thanks! I really lucked out on this one. There really are no rust issues except for the spare tire well I replaced. I went and looked at a 72 Demon in San Antonio yesterday with just a 400 block and no tranny. The guy wanted $2,500 and it was pathetic. All he kept saying was how rare they are and I kept saying not the rust buckets.

Started the body work today. It's going to be a slow process since I am not a very big fan of lots of filler. The passenger side is the worse so I thought I would tackle it first. In a couple of spots the body lines (creases) were gone. They're back again!!! Here's what I have so far-

Attachments

• Dent 5.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 291
  • Dent 6.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 299
  • Dent 8.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 298
  • Dent 7.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 301
  • Dent 3.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 288
  • Dent 2.jpg