1971 Demon - My First Mopar Build

-

txtopcat

Mopar Newbie
Reaction score
I came across a smoking good deal that I just couldn't pass up. I wasn't even looking for a project when I found this but isn't that how this stuff goes? :) I would appreciate any constructive, beneficial input as I go along. Below are mostly the "components" that came with the car and as such I won't be changing any of them, they are the reason I purchased this one.

The car was originally a 6 cylinder, auto, manual brakes, no AC. I'm adding power steering and a Vintage Air GenII system. It came with a Victor Hi rise manifold, a Milodon deep sump oil pan, Hedman Headers, and a CSR elec water pump. I took all of those off for various reasons, mostly clearance issues.

451 Stroker. Brand new forged 4340 steel crank and rods, 10.5:1 compression forged aluminum pistons, chamfered bearings, block sonic tested, blasted, bored .040 over, honed, line decked, balanced, Comp cam .545 lift, Harland Sharp 1.6 heavy duty roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum manifold, Holley 850 with electric choke and vacuum secondary's, PerTronix Complete Ignition System, Melling high volume oil pump, Comp cam Heavy duty timing chain. Schumaker engine mounts and torque strap. High torque mini starter. Schumaker headers at the moment but I also purchased a set of '67 HiPo exhaust manifolds in case of clearance issues.

I've added a March Performance serpentine system that includes polished AC compressor, alternator, water pump, and remote reservoir power steering pump.

Rear end is a completely rebuilt 8 . rear end with new Green bearings, rebuilt clutch type posi unit, 3.91 gears on a 741 case. Completely rebuilt 727 with a full manual/auto valve train and race quality bands and clutches.

I may change to a 6AL ignition system since I'm more familiar with them. I'll post more pictures in the near future. Apparently the car was in a wreck at some point. The hood hinge pins on the passenger side are messed up- top one is missing and the bottom one is bent. There was a repair made on the cowl on that same side and they used lead to shape the area.

Attachments

• Dart Full pic.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,049
  • Eng bay.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,003
  • Eng 5.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,003
  • Eng 4.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 992
  • Eng 3.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 976
  • New Eng Partial.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 970
  • Orig Eng.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 972
  • Dart Full pic passenger side.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 983
Sorry for the sideways pics. No idea why they do that. I always take pics the exact same way.

I've been ordering parts and various other things trying to delay having to start on the body work. We've had a long string of higher than high humidity and 100+ degree days here so it's not real pleasant blasting and sanding at the moment. But it has to get done. Took my seats to the upholstery shop, still haven't decided on exactly what I'm going to have them do yet.

Quick updates-
Had to order a stock steel gear oil pump shaft due to the kid I purchased this from putting a bronze gear shaft in it.

I'll post more pics later today.

awesome looking ride, we look forward to seeing the progress :) thanks for sharing

Thanks for the replies! Here are some more pics of what I'm working on. Luckily the only rust issue was the spare tire well. Wish I knew more about body work. I finally figured out how to remove the trim from the front and back glass. Yippee!!! The front glass will be replaced with one from a 71 Swinger donor I have and the back glass is in great shape. Hopefully it will stay that way. Not sure what adhesive they used originally but DANG! Stuff sticks really well. Any thoughts or suggestions along the way are appreciated.

Attachments

• A body 9.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 917
  • A body 8.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 896
  • A body 7.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 891
  • A body 6.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 910
  • A body 5 copy.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 887
  • A body 4.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 918
  • A body 3.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 896
  • A body 2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 886
  • A body 1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 905
I think this will be today's project. Not sure how you rip out a hood hinge pin but it's gone! I'm thinking I will Find a grade 8 bolt with a shoulder the correct diameter and then use a thick fender washer from the inside and weld the heck out of it. Then from the outside fill in the recess. Should be as solid as before. The bottom one I think I should be able to heat it up, bend it back into position but not real sure on how to reinforce it being as it is still attached. If I put a fender washer over on the outside I'm concerned it would throw off the hood alignment. It may not. Guess I could run a bead around the perimeter. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• A body 11.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 898
  • A body 10.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 893
Thanks! I'm really excited about the build and the finished project. Just hoping I don't screw anything up too bad. I'm planning on it being all black so I know the body has to be perfect before I spray it.

In your one post,you mentioned about swapping the front glass out and using one from your Swinger donor. Too me I think they are different from the Demon and may not work. Sure would hate to see you go through the extra work and realize it doesn't fit. Maybe someone else might be able to shine some light on the matter.

Thanks for heads up. I know the back glass won't work but thought the front would. I have to replace the front on the Demon anyways but you're right, no sense in taking the Swinger out until I know for certain.

The windshields are totally different on a Swinger than the Demon.
The Demon one is rounded in the corners and has more curve to it as well.
In fact, none of the glass is interchangeable.
Love your build!

I am really glad I decided to post this build. Really great input so far. Thanks to everyone! Did I mention this is my first Mopar? :) The windshields aren't even close. What a dummy I am. I'm posting pics of the Swinger because I'm hoping some of the other stuff I need will fit. The front fenders on the Demon are in poor shape. No rust just banged up. So instead of fixing them or spending $1,000 on two new ones I'm hoping to use the ones off the Swinger. They look the same but where the body line is on the Demon there is molding on the Swinger. I sure hope there is a crease under that molding. The other item I want to use out of the Swinger is the dash. Anyone know if it will fit the Demon? I bought the Swinger primarily for the front bench seat but I hope to get a few more parts out of it. If not I can probably sell it for what I paid ($800). If nothing else according to Craigslist I'm sure I can get $100 each for the hubcaps. HaHa!

This is turning into a nationwide, multi-country build and I'm really enjoying the feedback!

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Swinger 7.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 857
  • Swinger 6.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 869
  • Swinger 5.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 866
  • Swinger 4.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 881
  • Swinger 3.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 859
  • Swinger 2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 853
  • Swinger 1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 878
The whole front clip on the Swinger is the same as your Demon. Just has that piece of moulding attached to the sides. The dash will work too.

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I'm a happy camper again. Just the seat and fenders more than covered the cost of the donor so far.

Progress so far today-
Removed the front and back glass as well as the glass from the doors. All glass is out and intact. Yippee!

Removed the dash. Hard to believe that the passenger corner got that damaged.

Repaired the lower hood hinge pin and reinforced it from the back side. Now I just need to do the top one and hope that I get the geometry correct. I'm doing my best to copy the drivers side.

Attachments

• Hinge pin.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 855
  • Hinge 5.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 830
  • Hinge 4.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 834
  • Hinge 3.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 859
  • Hinge 2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 858
  • Hinge 1.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 857
  • Dash 2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 851
  • Dash 1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 855
Well I actually got more done today than I thought I would. All the glass is out as well as the dash and fixed the hood hinge pins. Even blasted the ash tray assembly just for grins. Thanks again for all the input.

Attachments

• Ash tray 4.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 870
  • Ash tray 3.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 852
  • Ash tray 2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 832
  • Ash tray 1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 849
  • Hinge 7.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 847
  • Hinge 6.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 826
Very nice project.

You mentioned adhesive on the windshield. To my knowledge the factory never used any.

Good to know. Someone at some point added a bunch of some grey looking putty like substance. Butyl maybe? But they also had some sort of glue on the edge all the way around. Hopefully the glass guy that puts them back in will get it right. Hopefully!

Made a little progress- the car is about ready to be blasted. Just need to take the fenders off the Swinger. Also going to put the wheels/tires from the Swinger onto the Demon as rollers. Should be able to have it blasted next week. Fabricated and installed the J-bolt mounts for tank straps. Kind of a hack job but they will hold. Plus once I finish out my trunk you won't be able to see it at all.

Attachments

• UC2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 801
  • UC 1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 810
  • Shell 6.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 800
  • Shell 5.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 809
  • Shell 4.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 785
  • Shell 3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 797
  • Shell 2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 795
  • Shell 1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 795
Here are some random pics of the under carriage.

Attachments

• UC 3.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 805
  • UC 4.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 809
  • UC 5.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 796
  • UC 6.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 790
Looks like a good car. On my Dart, I crossdrilled the hood pins, put on the hinges, and took out as much slack as I could. Those push on clips are known to fail. Nice dog too.

Thanks! He's been my constant companion for 13 years. I appreciate the idea for the hinge pins. So put a washer on it tight then drill it for a cotter pin?

Yeah, that's how I did it. it can be hard to get a drill on the right angle so you may not be able to get it as close to the body as you want. If you have to drill it further out on the stud,just add washers to take up the slack.

Love this car!

nice job repairing those hinge pins- not an easy task. Car seems mostly intact, should be a quickie on body work. Are you blasting it just for paint removal? I didn't see any major rust.

-
Back