1971 Demon speedometer wont light up

-

Joep

Reaction score
In my demon im working on interior lighting and my speedometer wont light up. Ive taken out the bulbs and shined a flashlight through the hole to see which one will light up the speedo because thats the only gauge i need to have work. So far I havent found anything that will fully illuminate the speedometer so Im gonna take out the cluster and take a better look at it but I was wondering if anyone else would know anything about it. The wiring behind the cluster is very far from stock because the whole car is stripped down so nothing is the same. So if anyone has any ideas let me know!

if like my 72 and 73 clusters, there are 2 bulbs that light up the speedo on the cluster....one on each side....not to be confused with the three in the middle (each turn signal and high beam indicator)

Ok I will go home and see if I can take out the cluster to get a better look at it. So the ones next to the turn signals illuminate the speedometer?

There is a fuse (INST) just for those lights so 1st make sure that fuse is good. Those instrument lights and other instrument back lights, are run off of the dimmer rheostat in the headlight switch. Turn the headlights (or just parking lights) on, and turn the knob back and forth a number of times to see if you get some illumination at any rotational position of that knob. If you get some illumination, even for a moment, as you are rotating the knob, then it is time to replace the switch, unless further rotation clears it up.

If you replace the switch, the knob and shaft pull out by pressing a small metallic button on the underside of the switch, near the front; sometimes you have to try it several times.

I don't know the answer to your question, but a 71 dash cluster whether it be a ralley dash or not is different than the 72+ clusters...

Also, the dash lights on these old Mopars aren't the easiest to see in the daylight. Try checking them in a dark area to be sure if they're working or not.

Good Luck :thumbup:

I got it figured out I ended up taking it out and taking a look at it and figured out the wiring. Thanks a lot guys!

-
Back