1971 Demon Street Build

-

sharpie

workin' stiff
Reaction score
I have this fantasy image in my head: It's a sunny day and I am driving down the I-80 over the Bay Bridge in California, listening to the Beach Boys with the windows open. I am just cruising at the speed of traffic enjoying the wind, the music, and the scenery.

For this, I don't need something ridiculously fast or sleek, just something with some history and a cool style. This is why I bought the Demon. I love the style of Mopar fastbacks.

For this build, I am going to combine race performance in handling, steering, and cooling with street-minded MPG, style, and interior comfort.

Here's what I have to work with: I bought it from the original owner. It has a VERY clean body, save for the trunk floor which will need to be replaced. The /6 is not running currently, but hopefully will be soon. The interior is pretty crappy, but definitely still workable.

DSCN2331.jpg

DSCN2335.jpg

DSCN2340.jpg

And here are the preliminary plans for it:

interior:
Bucket seats
console shifter to replace column shifter
headliner and carpet
badges and emblems
head unit with iPod connector
premium speakers all the way around
replace seatbelts
LED dash backlights, dome light

exterior:
repaint original J-3 Willow Green
stripe kit for the sides, deck (maybe hood)
replace trunk floor
locking hood pins
replace emblems
LED taillight bulbs, marker bulbs
H4 headlights on a relay
new lenses for foglamps
17" Torque Thrust Originals
Tires with good water traction control

drivetrain:
get the slant six running for now
(possibly) performance mods for the sixer
(possibly) 318 or 360 built mildly
(possibly) TF 727 transmission
(possibly) 8.75 rear end (maybe with discs)

steering, suspension, and braking
rack and pinion with power-assist
full front end rebuild (AlterKation?) including coilovers, reinforced lowers, tubular uppers, new torsion bars
power disc brakes - front

Most of all this list is just to help remind me what I am trying to do. I will update with progress as I make some.

edit: if you have any suggestions, please let me know. May it be parts, ideas, or otherwise!

Very clean!-cant wait to see more,I want to build a demon some day,b5 blue,big block ect.,dreams are good!.

I am looking into a tubular front end for my 71 Demon. If, and when I ever do it, the torsion bars will be history in favor of coil overs.

I am also contemplating doing a four link rear with coil overs as well... eliminating the leaf springs.

edit: if you have any suggestions, please let me know. May it be parts, ideas, or otherwise!

i only have one suggestion you should sell it to me for a hundred bucks :-D:-D:-D seriously man that is a cool car i would love to have it i love demons and i dont have one yet but someday. I would just keep the / for now and take your time on the drivetrain dont rush and build something your not happy with. Not to mention the slant get good gas mileage and always run they are virtually indestructable they always run and dont give you any hassles (Usually) Good Luck with it keep us posted Justin

demon? yes.

as for the starting issue, I got it almost started yesterday. replacing ballast today, and gapping points.

Duster ... Demon. Potatoe ... Patatoe. Let's call the whole thing off (just a reference to a 50's song).

Let us know when you actually get it started.

BTW: Are you attending UC Davis? If so, it is a very good school. I spent a lot of time there many years ago. Even though they are known for their agricultural/vet studies, I am sure they must have a pretty good arts/graphic dept as well. Is that your area of study ... graphic arts?

My son is in his second year of school for graphic arts. He was originally going to go to U.C. Davis because it is close to where we live. (Fairfield) But he finally chose to go to Sac State because it is in the top five schools in the country for graphic arts.

His commute ended up being about 15 miles longer each way, so that's not too bad.

Brian, I may end up having some slant six stuff available if you decide to keep yours in the car. The slant is coming out of my car soon for a small block transplant. I do have a 4bbl intake and carb for a slant six that have never been run. I also have some oversize valves and performance valve springs.

BTW: Are you attending UC Davis? If so, it is a very good school. I spent a lot of time there many years ago. Even though they are known for their agricultural/vet studies, I am sure they must have a pretty good arts/graphic dept as well. Is that your area of study ... graphic arts?

Yep, going to UCD. But I've lived here for 16 years anyway. I'm actually a history major with an anthropology and classics minor. I just do graphic arts in my spare time.

My son is in his second year of school for graphic arts. He was originally going to go to U.C. Davis because it is close to where we live. (Fairfield) But he finally chose to go to Sac State because it is in the top five schools in the country for graphic arts.

His commute ended up being about 15 miles longer each way, so that's not too bad.

Brian, I may end up having some slant six stuff available if you decide to keep yours in the car. The slant is coming out of my car soon for a small block transplant. I do have a 4bbl intake and carb for a slant six that have never been run. I also have some oversize valves and performance valve springs.

i definitely would be interested in the intake and carb :hello2:

Wow, what an outstanding specimen and great place to start! I can almost hear the surf already. Keep us informed.

All I have to say is those sound like big plans for a "broke college student". Other than that what a heck of a find...gotta love that front clip...I'm jealous. That car has tons of potential and no matter you make of it as long as it becomes what you want, then I don't think you can go wrong. Sounds too me like you've got a pretty good idea of what you do want, just make sure you choose one direction and go with it because changing your mind midstream becomes costly, but that's also half the fun of a project car. Either way keep us all updated and good luck.

All I have to say is those sound like big plans for a "broke college student". Other than that what a heck of a find...gotta love that front clip...I'm jealous. That car has tons of potential and no matter you make of it as long as it becomes what you want, then I don't think you can go wrong. Sounds too me like you've got a pretty good idea of what you do want, just make sure you choose one direction and go with it because changing your mind midstream becomes costly, but that's also half the fun of a project car. Either way keep us all updated and good luck.

I will definitely have updates as they come.

As for the monetary situation, I guess it's good that I'm almost done and going to get a job :-D As for now though, my job should cover stuff to get it running and what-not.

woohoo! got her started today. She seems to be running well, except it's in need of serious timing. I installed the Pertronix Electronic Ignition kit today, and it worked like a charm.

as of now, it's in the shop. The timing (which I can do, but don't have a light), new tires, an oil change (because it's in there already), and drum brake replacement are being conducted today. Hopefully if the timing fixes the engine running rough, then I might be able to drive it tomorrow to a muscle car cruise :D

well, i got it registered and insured. It runs rough, but if starting after a stoplight, I hit the gas hard then immediately let off, then slowly give it pedal, it seems to run fine. But I have other issues. The right side of my radiator's leaking, and now I have to replace it.

I was hoping to spend my play money from this next paycheck (tomorrow) on goodies, but it looks as if it's going to get it running again ><

I found the water pump weeping yesterday, so I am replacing it this afternoon. Hopefully that will solve my heating issues, finally. It overheated in about a half-mile on Saturday, I was NOT happy.

Dude, that Demon looks to have a real nice rust free body. My '72 that I am working on has nice floors and the body is semi rough. Yours looks like an easy restore......not like mine in the attached photo below.

Good luck on your project.

John

-
Back