1971 Dodge Demon Plaid Vinyl Top

-
That for sure is different, I'm not sure but ... maybe I recall seeing one , many moons ago.
The same goes with the snake skin and mod tops, what was the order code for a snake skin...?

That for sure is different, I'm not sure but ... maybe I recall seeing one , many moons ago.
The same goes with the snake skin and mod tops, what was the order code for a snake skin...?
this is all i could come up with. some of these codes were for specific years and some were for specific cars....

tortoise skin= v1y
gold & green mod top= v1y
blue mod=v1q
blue green floral=v1q
mod yellow=v1p
yellow floral=v1p
pasley=v1j
walnut pattern=v1j
green floral=v1h
black gator grain=v1g
black alligator=v1c

Here is a picture of the fender tag. It may or may not be a dealer installed top but it's really neat either way. George said the way it sits is just how it sat when he bought it new off the showroom floor in 1971. I drove it about 75 miles today and it drives like a brand new 1971 Demon. You can hardly hear it run! Thanks for all the help.

demonfendertag.jpg

That is cool. The fender tag says it came with a regular Medium Green Metallic painted roof though (the GF3 on top of the other GF3). Must be something that was put on after Ma Mopar put it together?

That is cool. The fender tag says it came with a regular Medium Green Metallic painted roof though (the GF3 on top of the other GF3). Must be something that was put on after Ma Mopar put it together?

I believe you are correct. GF3 on the tag twice (upper and lower) designates upper and lower body color. Full vinyl roof would be coded V1*, a canopy roof would be V4*, with the * (missing digit) representing the color.
There's some decoding help here; http://www.mymopar.com/6971opcodes.htm
I would still like to see a couple of close-up pics of the lower top moldings, especially the ends.
Dallas
P.S. for wish4hemi, just noticed you are from Rolla. I live about an hour from you and go to Rolla almost every weekend to visit family.

This Demon is being flipped on Craigslist right now.

It's a dealer installed top. The dealer spruce up their inventory to sell it. Same as adding a stickers or graphics to a car on the lot like they still do today.

There were companies that made aftermarket tops. There was also a company that make a spray on look a like vinyl top.

There are a few Charger 500's and Daytona's that had dealer installed vinyl tops. Joe Machado (long time wing car club member) bought a wing car off the lot after shopping for others around So Cal Dodge dealers. He remembers vinyl top 500's on the lots at the time.

I think if you look at period magazines you'll find ads/product releases for aftermarket tops. I've seen them in my old period magazines, but I can't put my finger on a specific issue with ad.

i see the car has a code i do not know. does anybody know what a29 is for? i know it is a decor package of some type or a package for sound or fuel or something.....i don't see a29 anywhere? hey litup do you have the window sticker by chance? if so what does it say on the sticker?

hootie recently posted photos of his '74 Duster with a snakeskin roof. Maybe the same situation as this one.

i see the car has a code i do not know. does anybody know what a29 is for? i know it is a decor package of some type or a package for sound or fuel or something.....i don't see a29 anywhere? hey litup do you have the window sticker by chance? if so what does it say on the sticker?

A29 is the build date. Built 10/29/70.

Looks like I was right about it being a Ford top based on the pics on the auction.

It's a cool car, who cares if the owner just bought it to flip. He thought enough of us to stop by and ask a few questions to find out more about what he has. I've done it too when I've bought an off brand car I didn't know much about.
A few of you guys on this thread wanted the car if he sold it, well, buy it up! I hope it goes to a good home.

If you look a few posts back, the owner (Lit Up) says that the ad on Craigs is the original one he purchased from. He doesn't have any plan to sell it.

Great little Dart with an awesome story/twist. Nowadays that's what brings the value up. :)

I see this car sold for $15,000 on eBay!

yeah and I bet he robbed the 81 year old man he bought it from.

I remember seeing the link to the original craiglist ad. I didn't think it was "robbing" type money. I don't remember the specific amount, but I didn't really think it was a bargin.

$15K is stupid money for that. Sorry to the buyer if it really sold.

question about the front seat. should the plaid in the center on the back continue onto the seat portion like in the rear? ive never seen one like the seat in this car with the fabric center back section and full vinyl bottom. but the vinyl and piping on the bottome looks to match the rest of the vinyl. the back seat looks like it should.

Definitly a dealer thing, not a Mod Top. I had a 71 Super Bee Hemi orange with a painted black top bought brand new from the dealer like that.

-
Back