1971 dodge fuse box??

-

Nappa82

Reaction score
The wiring under the dash of my 71 Demon is a mess. The previous owner cut, spliced, and taped it all up. I have been trying to find information on the fuse box that is currently in it. 2291593 mopar fuse box.

What fuse box was made for the demon? Is this the original one or has it been replaced?

Everytime I look under the dash I get overwhelmed with the amount of tape and wires just hanging about. The dash lights and some of the guages do not work. Fuel and speed guages work but the amp and heat do not.

Obviously I do not know anything about the electrical side of a car to save my ***. Any info out there for a beginner? I have a wiring diagram comming in the mail for my car. Hopefully that will help in figuring out what I can do to help fix this issue.

No idea, but you can get some info from the 72 service manual link:

Be aware, there MAY be some differences

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

you can download "alternative" diagrams from MyMopar:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

and then here:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=24

There are only THREE main circuit busses in the stock A bodiy boxes

"HOT" buss. This is everything that is hot with IGN switch off, such as brake lights This buss comes in on a big no12? no10? wire which comes from the "in harness splice" in the ammeter circuit under the dash

"Switched ACCESSORY" buss. This group is fed by a big wire which comes from the IGN switch, and is hot with IGN in either "ACC" or "RUN" This feeds the fuses like wipers, radio, heater, etc

"Instrument light fuse". This little guy is off to itself, electrically

The headlight circuit is fed from the "in harness splice" and there's a breaker in/ on the switch, ONLY for the headlights.

Tail/ Park and instrument lights get power TO the switch from the tail fuse. AFTER this power goes through the cluster dimmer control, THEN it goes to the fuse box through the "instrument" fuse, and then off to the cluster lamps, or any other lamp that is on the instrument dimmer, such as the radio dial.

Sweet thank you!

"HOT" buss. This is everything that is hot with IGN switch off, such as brake lights This buss comes in on a big no12? no10? wire which comes from the "in harness splice" in the ammeter circuit under the dash

"Switched ACCESSORY" buss. This group is fed by a big wire which comes from the IGN switch, and is hot with IGN in either "ACC" or "RUN" This feeds the fuses like wipers, radio, heater, etc

"Instrument light fuse". This little guy is off to itself, electrically

The headlight circuit is fed from the "in harness splice" and there's a breaker in/ on the switch, ONLY for the headlights.

Tail/ Park and instrument lights get power TO the switch from the tail fuse. AFTER this power goes through the cluster dimmer control, THEN it goes to the fuse box through the "instrument" fuse, and then off to the cluster lamps, or any other lamp that is on the instrument dimmer, such as the radio dial.

This bit of info was extremely helpful in understanding.

If it's a real mess, replacing the harness might be a better option.....a bit more "Murphy Proof" that way.

You might not necessarily need to replace the harness. First, figure out what other crap has been added to the original wires and if that crap is still hooked into the harnesses (like an old alarm system). Check the splices because they could be corrosion points if not done correctly. If splices were added directly to the connectors, that might be more easily corrected.

Again, first determine what the added spliced wires are doing there.

Remember, though, you are dealing with 40+ year old wires and you can expect to see some degradation.

I have a good dash harness if you need one PM me

I just got a new main under dash wire harness from year one (made by M&H). It is absolutly spot-on with the '71 rallye dash 4spd harness I took out. A bit pricy but I waited for the 30% off sale, sold a handfull of extra parts and bought it. Because I didn't label everything as I took it off, I had questions on three of the new wires or connectors. I called M&H direct and what a helpful CS dept. Took all the time i needed and even confirmed where the reverse dash light plugs into the bulkhead. The only difference was two of the connectors were different colors. Hope you can see the pic.

Attachments

• Abody Bulkhead pic2291593.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,343
I just got a new main under dash wire harness from year one (made by M&H). It is absolutly spot-on with the '71 rallye dash 4spd harness I took out. A bit pricy but I waited for the 30% off sale, sold a handfull of extra parts and bought it. Because I didn't label everything as I took it off, I had questions on three of the new wires or connectors. I called M&H direct and what a helpful CS dept. Took all the time i needed and even confirmed where the reverse dash light plugs into the bulkhead. The only difference was two of the connectors were different colors. Hope you can see the pic.

YES! Thank you I can see the pic perfectly. I have been looking for a good pic of this as mine is all worn out and the letters are all scratched off from what looks like the previous owner prying the fuses out with something.

Moparparts: Thanks for the offer if it comes down to it I will hit you up.

-
Back