1971 door glass removal help.

-

Rd2Scamp

Reaction score
Have a 1971 Duster I’m trying to gut the doors and I can’t get the philips head screws on the bottom of the glass to come lose. I turn the heads and the round thing on the back side spins also. I’ve tried to use vice grips on the back side to hold it but no luck. Any tips or help on how to get them out ? I can’t see how to remove the glass without getting these off the glass.

Yeah, those can be a pain. You have the round threaded steel retainer I presume. I was able to get the glass out with those posts attached, but, it wasn't easy. IIRC you had to work the glass toward the rear of the door while raising the rear edge up and out through a wider spot in the door shell above the latch.....after all the other internals were removed of course. Once the glass was out, you can soak that retainer in WD40 and grab it easier with some small, curved-jawed vice grips with sharp teeth.

Yeah, those can be a pain. You have the round threaded steel retainer I presume. I was able to get the glass out with those posts attached, but, it wasn't easy. IIRC you had to work the glass toward the rear of the door while raising the rear edge up and out through a wider spot in the door shell above the latch.....after all the other internals were removed of course. Once the glass was out, you can soak that retainer in WD40 and grab it easier with some small, curved-jawed vice grips with sharp teeth.

Im having a hard time getting the glass to detach from the front rail that goes up and down inside the door. I’ve got all the other parts out. Lock, handle, window crank ect.

Im having a hard time getting the glass to detach from the front rail that goes up and down inside the door. I’ve got all the other parts out. Lock, handle, window crank ect.
That front track should unbolt. I think the bracket on the glass hooks around that front track. You might just be able to unhook it if you move the glass forward enough. I always just pull all the parts loose to get more movement on the glass.

I was able to unbolt the front and rear brackets on the bottom of the door. Think I got the front one on the top too but its still hooked to the glass

-
Back