1971 Duster 340, 4spd, FE5/blk resto, "ruster" to Duster!

-
Great job just a little ahead of mine. Hope to have paint on mine SOON.

excellent job, i've had alot of dusters they are probably my favorite car. you will have many trophies for sure!

Finally got some wheel time in the Duster in the past couple of days, up to about 100 miles on it now. Took it out to a breakfast cruise this morning and had a lot of fun with my son in it. :burnout: It needs a few minor issues addressed but its turned out really well. I'm excited about taking it to an all mopar at the end of the month!:glasses7:

Tawny Demon your decals are on the way.:thumleft:

Attachments

• Dstr4292.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 716
  • Dstr429.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 706
  • Dsrt4293.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 731
  • Dstr4294.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 731
Sweet car, after all that work you wanna sell it?
Can you give me a little more information on that ECS tube. Is that a california thing?
:burnout:

Thanks! Want to...not exactly, but life is what it is.

The ECS system is just an emissions system. It controls the expansion vapors in the gas tank. The gas tank has 4 lines at the top and an extra internal expansion tank, the 4 lines go up into the tube in the trunk. Its not necessarily a CA thing, just a 71+ up attempt at an emissions device, its basically a complicated tank vent.

Between working saturdays, buying a new house, and family vacations I haven't got to do much with the car. Today was an all makes car show put on by the local Mopar club (Battle Born Mopars). There were some really nice cars there....but at the end of the day I took home the "Best Restoration" trophy!!:cheers: It was well earned and made up for all the hard work it took to get it there. Now back to home improvement projects on the new house.

Attachments

• Pano.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 565
  • Trphy.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 576
Back in July life changes forced me to sell the Duster, which was a hard pill to swallow. I walked away from this hobby after it left, as a piece of me went with the car. So, it was with bittersweet enthusiasm that my Duster is featured in this months Mopar Collectors Guide. (mar2014). Unfortunately I, Brent Falin, did not get any credit for doing the restoration work, the new owner did. Thanks MCG Its a game of he said/ she said now. With the magazine and the current owner blaming each other, but I tend to believe the new owner Don. I'm really not surprised this happened, since its so common these days.I am happy the car is in a magazine, that accomplished a huge goal for me. The article had numerous errors in it and was pretty much made up from bits of info from this thread. The new owner, Don, did make some changes on the Duster to be fair, he added buckets, new glass, and some other detail minded changes. I wanted to set the record straight and I know Don is finishing off anything I didn't get to. Don really loves the car and it won't be leaving his garage anytime soon. My enthusiasm for this hobby is coming back some and thoughts of swapping the Saleen for a Dart have been going through my head. We'll see.

Attachments

• DsuterMGC.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 436
Brent, I read the article thinking that was your car....but started wondering if it really was, the more I read. I'm a long time subscriber to MCG, but I think that was VERY shitty of them to not credit you in any way whatsoever for the fine job you did on that car. If Rob Wolfe reads this, I hope he prints a correction in the future....and proves to his long time supporters(like myself) that he is the journalist and Mopar guy we've always thought he was. :banghead:

Randy Holden who wrote the article did promptly write me back, but whether Rob will print a correction is up to him. The story in the feature is more fiction than fact, but it sounds good to the readers I guess. This isn't the first time I have heard of this happening with them. Oh well, it is what it is.

Thanks! Yeah I always thought the bench is what it made it special with the 4spd and the cassette player. Probably the only one with that combo. To each their own I suppose...

Brent, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't receive your appropriate credit on restoring the Duster. Your thread was a major influence for me when I started to work on my car. I fully understand how the work you put into the Duster was truly a labor of love.

You did a great piece of work on the little '71 340.
I'm a little partial to these cars anyway, I ordered a new one in 1971. While waiting on it to come in, a new 71 satellite sebring plus in triple black came in and caught my eye.I still regret not waiting on the little Duster 340.

Your work on this Duster was a good job, thanks for sharing it with us.

-
Back