1971 Duster 340

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Indy 416 ,686 roller cam, 456 gear, 29 x 14.5 hoosiers 0n 15 x 12's ,tight 5000 stall, shift light set at 8000. rev limit set at 8500. Have a hard time obeying the shift light. It keeps pulling hard. I bounce it off the rev box once and awhile . Its my sons and I take it out when he's at work. This thing is a wild out of control steet car with no power adders. I asked my son how it pulls , When he came home with it one day. He say's it pulls hard but nothing like being planted to the right rear corner of a sprint car for 25 laps. The tail pipes are tied into the 3.5 dumps in front of the rear. We had to leave the tips on. This was made possible by cutting 3 inches out of the right side of the factory gas tank.

Indy CNC ported heads. Hooker 2" tube race headers. 3 1/2 Exahust. Tailpipes are tapped into 3 1/2 " turndowns in front of rear. Puts some flow out tips and sounds and looks as if the exhaust is coming out the tips.

this car is mini tubed with factory gas tank and tailpipes with tips. It also has 29 x 14.5 wide tires on 12 inch wide wheels with factory wheel openings.

Thats a rad car man! lol, loving the chevy alternator...lol
Talked to Gary timing cover on its way. Thanks. The altenator is mounted with the power steering brackets. One 8 inch wire hooked it to the battery bulkhead. Power switch on rear of car kills everything No extra wires to the switch. No wire harness on motor makes it easy for valve lash adjustment.

Thats a rad car man! lol, loving the chevy alternator...lol
I will have to mill the cover to the same thickness as the factory cover for the two bolts that hold the power steering bracket being used for the alt. I had a 69 drive pulley on the fluid damper. this put it in the right position with original pulleys for 70 up. When I put this altenator on. I could have put the 70 pulley back on. But I made a spacer for the earlier pulley because it is smaller in dia. and acts as an under drive. For all those using a thicker fluid damper on a 70 und up. Don't space out your accessories. Just put on an earlier 69 and back pulley. You'll only have to buy shorter belts.

Cool man...Post pics of that cover when ya get it....It isnt the same thickness as a stock one?? I thought it was...I don't remember, but I left mine how it was...Didn't mill anything...

..with the rear tires so large, how does it handle on the highway ?
The car works good . Although I really didn't build it to road race. It handles alot better than the skinny bias ply's they came with. 275 radials have alot better feel on the road. But from a dead stop when you plant the throttle it just sits there with radials on . With these tires the feeling is not comparable. The hooiser quicktime pro's make good traction. They still spin but the car really pulls hard .

-
Back