1971 duster 4 speed reverse lights doesnt work

-

74ddsport

Reaction score
Picking some brains!! I have no more reverse lights. I have installed new bulbs and still no luck. Where is the reverse switch. The car is a 1971 duster.

thanks

Could be wiring issue or bad switch. I'd check power to it first. Shift linkage may not be in proper adjustment and not allowing full engagement in reverse for lever to fully contact switch.

Well i find the switch and for some reason there is no wires plugged into it. My brother is telling me he had reverse lights and was sure of it because he needs them really bad when backing into his garage at night. Who can help me with a diagram of the wires or a picture showing where they are routed. Thanks

What plug are you talking about?

There should be a connector that fits the switch on the 4 speed, that harness goes up over the top of the bell and into the bulkhead/ firewall connector. If you can find those two, you should be able to jumper them together and get reverse lights with the key on.

What plug are you talking about?

There should be a connector that fits the switch on the 4 speed, that harness goes up over the top of the bell and into the bulkhead/ firewall connector. If you can find those two, you should be able to jumper them together and get reverse lights with the key on.

There is no harness going from the reverse switch on the tranny to the firewall. Funny but weird. Okay so a wire should go over bell housing and up towards firewall. Will check that first thing when i get home.

Thank you

It's an easy fix. First, find a "hot in start or run" circuit in the fuse box. Run a wire from that circuit to one of the plugs on the reverse switch. Doesn't matter which one. Run another wire from the other side of the switch to the reverse lites. That's it. The factory plug is notorious for coming loose. I used female blade connectors with heat shrink tubing.

Attachments

• reverse lite switch.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 367
look in diagram A on the top right next to starter, you'll see "backup light sw manual trans (2 wires) follow the wiring to the bulkhead connector. I think they are black and black w/tracer to bulkhead connectors "c" and "w". The violet wires are at the rear of car where the light sockets are.

Rocky thank you SO much....question..by any chance would you have the diagram of the wires off the tranny? I see the violet wire going into a plug (at least i think its a plug) and then nothing from there.

Once again thanks

-
Back