1971 Duster 440 complete guage rewiring or?

-

bakertodd

Reaction score
Greetings to all Mopar fans; recently bought a `71 Duster project car (runs fine but needs mods) mild 440 w/ Torqueflite, 3:55 posi w/8 3/4" gear, mini-tubed w/ 6 point cage, no rust and new paint. First issue to tackle is the guage/dash mess: has fuel guage, oil pressure, and temp in a cluster under the dash; racing tach w/ shift light next to shifter - typical setup. Original speedo and alternator in original dash console. Fuel guage keeps blowing fuse and the speedometer is not synched for the rear end & M/T street slicks (I`m guessing); basically reads 30 mph when car`s going 40+. Would like to get the aftermarket dash console - four 2 1/8 guages (oil, temp, elec., & fuel) + two 3 3/8" guages (tach & speedo). Want to keep the drag tach & shift light for eventual racing hopefully. Can`t do it myself. Any suggestions? Try to deal w/ problems individually or just get the whole thing redone? If total rewiring, what am I looking at for $$$? Car is pretty bare; no heater, power steering or power brakes. Fuel cell & battery in trunk. Also, any ideas on where to get original knobs for lights & wiper switch?.......???

Buy a gauge set... autometer makes some very nice ones. Any of the major wiring companies make gauge wiring kits. I prefer American Auto Wire. Make it clean and simple.

Honestly, I would make my own "weld in" panel, you would be wasting your money from the after market instrument panels that I have seen and read about.
This would be cheap and you could place everything in locations that you wanted them to be in. If you are not handy, find a body shop that is willing to do this and tell them the general idea, have them build the panel and instal the gauges yourself to save money.

Honestly, I would make my own "weld in" panel, you would be wasting your money from the after market instrument panels that I have seen and read about.
This would be cheap and you could place everything in locations that you wanted them to be in. If you are not handy, find a body shop that is willing to do this and tell them the general idea, have them build the panel and instal the gauges yourself to save money.

there is a member making a metal bolt in blank somewhere

-
Back