1971 Duster Steering Box and Steering Column

-

79JON

Reaction score
Ok.. here is what Ive got. basically im wondering what Ill need to make this work. Ive got a 71 duster that is originally a manual steering with a column shift column. I'm converting it over to a to a console shifter and a floor shift column. Here is the tricky part.. The new column I had is on a 72 duster with a power steering box. I believe its shorter than a manual shift column. Is there an adapter I can buy so I can use the original manual box and the new Column?

I would take both columns apart and either swap the steering shafts and ignition locks, or at least take it apart and swap the collars and ignition locks.
I think flaming river sells the adaptor if you choose to go that route.
Good luck.
Tom.

just swap out the center shaft from your old column to the new one if you have both columns there is no reason to buy an adapter

Ok thanks guys.. I think ill save some money here and swap the shafts out.

a fellow member recently did a mod on his thread.....he had a column shifted car and he wanted to convert it to floor shift but did not buy a new column.

He cut the gear selector off of the colum as well as the shift handle mount and he then smeared bondo in it and sanded it smooth and painted it satin black and it looks factory!.....just an idea

-
Back