1971 Duster Twister Rallye Wheels without Center Emblem?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
How did the '71 Twister model (available only with slant 6 or 318) manage to employ the rallye wheels without the center caps? Was the wheel bearing grease dust cap plain or chrome? Anyone have an actual close-up photo? I have some rallye wheels and I want to duplicate whatever the Twister model came with from the factory. Thank you.

How did the '71 Twister model (available only with slant 6 or 318) manage to employ the rallye wheels without the center caps? Was the wheel bearing grease dust cap plain or chrome? Anyone have an actual close-up photo? I have some rallye wheels and I want to duplicate whatever the Twister model came with from the factory. Thank you.

Hey dibbons,

You got me curious so I dug this up..

26121564838_35ef182aa1_b.jpg

That looks like it shows the good-looking center cap. But in 1971, or at least in other posters like this, I have seen something like the little dust cover only (without center cap).

I'm pretty sure its the same center cap as the 340 , just painted argent silver instead of black like the 340 wheel.

I'm fairly certain rally wheels were intended to be sold with trim rings and center caps.

I have however, seen a lot of promo ads where they are missing either, or both.

That looks like it shows the good-looking center cap. But in 1971, or at least in other posters like this, I have seen something like the little dust cover only (without center cap).

Here's a 71 Twister 38,000 mile original...

1971-plymouth-duster-twister38k-original-miles100-rust-free-west-coast-car-10.jpg

I think the difference on the twister may have been no trim rings, my mistake.

No problem! I learned something new here as well!

Good luck with your resto.

Post some pics!!

I sprayed Duplicolor "graphite" color after a lot of prep. I only have one center cap (no trim rings), so going to do without those extras for now.

graphite 1.jpeg

wheel a.jpg

wheel b.jpg

My 71 Twister had trim rings and the centers. I still have them. I can get pics when I get home if you want...

The only place that I have seen a factory Rallye wheel without a center cap in factory literature is in the 1970 Dart factory brochure in the list of options. This was the first year for those wheels and I think that they just didn't have the center caps ready when they put the brochure together. All the cars in the brochure have either full wheel covers or poverty caps.

I learned something too with the Twister. Yes, early 1970 road tests and factory photos had Rallye wheels w/o center caps. Like was said, must not have been ready for prime time.

ECBAC8CF-EA31-4725-B885-CBAB36FBB2B8.jpeg

I never knew that about the trim rings!

I put trim rings on my 71 twister.
I got it from the original owner.
Never had them everything was original on it paint engine ect.
Had it since the late 90's.
There is a picture of it in my garage.
I traded it to my brother for the dart in my avatar.
He still has the car.

Would your Brother be John? I'm close to finishing the '70 Swinger 340 I bought from him in 2006.....PM me, Brother, and I'll update you with the ol" Swinger 340. She's getting a 1998 5.9 stroked to 408. Trick Flow 190 heads and intake, Racer Brown cam and TC. TTI's and still working on the 3.91 SG. Please have your Brother call me in the future. We won't talk about you putting her in the ditch., Paul.

The promo posters and ads I've seen show hubs and dust cap painted the same silver as the rallye wheel.

The promo posters and ads I've seen show hubs and dust cap painted the same silver as the rallye wheel.

On the ad above it looks so....silver center caps on the twister, dark grey on the 340....

But generally they changed the colour of the center caps for Rallye wheels in 1971 to a darker grey.

And in this ad the Sizzler has also dark center caps:

1971demonsizzler-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I was talking about when no center cap was used, just the spindle/hub and sheet metal dust cover.

-
Back