1971 duster

-

snowcrane2005

Reaction score
Wondering where The factory correct spot is to put electronic Ignition on a Late 1971 Plymouth duster

Wondering where The factory correct spot is to put electronic Ignition on a Late 1971 Plymouth duster

As far as I know late 71s didn't get electronic. My car was built July 9th and didn't have electronic. I believe 1971 auto got single points and manual got dual points. As far as location, Dmoore's 1972 survivor has the unit here...

1972BLACK340DUSTER019.jpg

1972BLACK340DUSTER016.jpg

Sometime in the 72 model year was when the electronic ignition was 1st offered in an A-Body.

My 71 340 auto was a late 71 build and had single point distributor, no electronic ignition. My 74 Duster has the the electronic box on the vertical of the drivers fender right under the hood lip.

I ordered my 340 in Feb. 71 and electronic wasn't available. I didn't receive car in April so I changed order to 72. I then found out no more rally dash and lower compression. I than came across the car I ordered on a lot on Long Island. I then cancelled the 72 and bought the 71 from O.C. Taylor in Amityville. Back in the day I received a $200 rebate from the Gov. for buying the car. Car had A/C, buckets, console and everything else to complete my wish list. I actually converted to electronic ignition and it really woke that car up. Wish I had done it sooner.

I have seen that as well, but again last day of 1971 production was July 9th. My car was built July 9th and has a single point non-electronic ignition. My car also has 1972 parts as they were gearing up the line for the 1972 models, so I got the ribbed trunk, blue engine, bumper jack slots etc. but still no electronic ignition.

It said it was an option. Yours must not have been ordered with it I guess.

-
Back