1971 fuel tank vent system....

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just thought I would show the masses what a 1971 fuel vent system is composed of. Apparently it is a one year only design? I can see why. The pictures show the vent lines that come out of the inner compartment inside the main tank and then run over to the vent tube that runs up inside the trunk area. There are four rubber lines coming from the tank to the vent tube and one steel line from the tube to the engine compartment where the canister would have been. You can see the plug on top of the tank for draining the inner compartment. I will show the workings of the tube if I remove it.

Attachments

• IMG_0914.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 695
  • IMG_0915.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 748
  • IMG_0916.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_0918.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_0921.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_0926.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_0927.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_0928.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 607
No, I think 70/ 71/2 were all pretty much the same. I don't have access to 73, but in 74, they definately got away from the separate vapor separator, and built that into the tank.

Not all 70's came with vapor systems. My 70 440-6 RR was a "non CA" car and did not. It did have a vapor RETURN, which came factory on all 440-6 and 426 cars. Not sure about the 440 4bbl cars.

Ya I don't know much about the years this system was on, or most Mopar stuff for that matter!! I just read a little about it here. I do know my 72 Demon doesn't have this stuff. It is just a line to the front. I did see a guy asking about it before and there were no pics so I figured while I had the chance I would get some.

'70 CA cars (at least some of them) have this. '72 48-state do not, not sure about '72 CA.

and one steel line from the tube to the engine compartment where the canister would have been.

I don't believe there was a canister in '71. My '71 Scamp had an extra nipple on the breather in the valve cover and the line from the tank went to it. Mine had the same tank setup as your car.
I switched mine to an earlier style tank, filler neck, and vent system as my tank was bad, and I had a new tank for an older car.
Dallas

I don't believe there was a canister in '71.

I believe you are right. All cars had the vent control system in 71, just not a carbon can

So..........70's built by and for CA had the evap control system

71 all cars everywhere had the evap controls

72 all cars had the evap control and the carbon can was added to the mix.

Then somewhere 73?4? the vapor can in the trunk was integrated into the tank.

I believe you are right. All cars had the vent control system in 71, just not a carbon can

So..........70's built by and for CA had the evap control system

71 all cars everywhere had the evap controls

72 all cars had the evap control and the carbon can was added to the mix.

Then somewhere 73?4? the vapor can in the trunk was integrated into the tank.

?? My '72 does not have the tank or extra tube in the trunk as shown in the first post. I don't recall seeing a '72 with it. Do some have it and some don't, or what? Mine is even an early-built '72 model, so if '72's had it, I would expect that mine would. It's not been changed out.

-
Back