1971 scamp cluster

-

bill detamore

Reaction score
Happy New Years to you all.

I have an odd one for you. Today, i was trying to take out my cluster. I am talking of the entire piece. I leaned it forward and a 3 pronged piece fell out. I then noticed that my gas guage was not working. Got this piece back and the guage worked fine.

#1, what is that piece called and waht does it do.

#2. just below this 3 pronged item was a round piece with a wire coming out of it. Maybe a half inch in diameter and 2 inches long. The wire was maybe 3 inches long and had an L-shaped plug on the end of it. The only place I could fine that the wire would reach was one of the 3 prongs to the gas guage piece. That is where i put it. Was I correct or is my car going to catch on fire?

I also wanted to see if anyone knew where i may be able to get a new instrument panel. Mine was painted black and looks crappy. I would like to get another and do a nice finish on it. My own thing.

I do apptreciate all of your help very much guys. have a great holiday weekend.

BD

fanofpetty and cudamark were right about what they are. The voltage limiter brings the voltage down to 5 volts for the guages, at least thats what its supposed to do. There is an aftermarket solid state limiter that works much better, gives a constant 5 volts instead of relying on points opening and closing shuddering the voltage to get 5 volts, and you dont need the noise suppressor for it. The noise suppressor is a condensor, like the one in the distributor if you have points. Im a little less understanding of condensors, but the way I understand it, when the points open and close it dampens the electrical current, to protect the circuit, and also as cudamark pointed out, without it you will hear rapid clicks coming from your radio. Pretty much anywhere there would be points in an electrical system you may find one of these condensors, they can be found coming off the regulator on external voltage regulator alternators. It should be attached to the middle of the three prongs, the hot line of the limiter.

Oh and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Thanks very much.

That is where i put the wire for the condenser. i was hoping that i did not have to pull the thing apart again.

I really appreciate the help. You guys are great.

Have a great day off guys. Back to it on Tuesday.

One last thing. Anyone know where to get an entire dash board? As I said mine looks like crap.

I lied. To take the dash out do you need to drop the steering column?

I dont know where to find a replacement for the scamp, maybe someone else does. If you have the one with the long speedo, not square, then the steering column needs to be dropped. its really not that hard to do, remove the three bolts at the firewall, remove the trim piece where the column meets the dash, and remove the two nuts on the column closer to the firewall, you will see two tabs sticking off the column. let the steering wheel sit down onto the seat and all will be fine. the cluster will come out easy that way, and it only takes a few minutes to drop the column. Also be careful of the wires that plug into the back of the cluster. the pins can be weak, and the wiring a bit short, if your not careful you will break the pins off. just pull the cluster slowly and watch the wires and you will be fine.

-
Back