1972 Dart 318 cam info needed

-

toddlaine

Reaction score
Looking to pep up my stock 318. I currently have an edelbrock 600cfm carb and edelbrock intake with 340 exhaust manifold and getting TTI exhaust. I want to add a cam to pep up the engine and add to the sound. What do I need To do this. If any one has a good combo with part numbers that would be great.
Thanks,

Throw a Comp XE268H in it. I would suggest changing your timing chain to a double roller, you will need matching springs as well.

BUT, you might want to consider rear gears as well, when I made my switch it ran OK, but was a dog on take off until I got in the cams power band. I swapped to 3.55's and woke it right up.

Just a thought!

The 340 cam would be a fantastic choice here.

A stock 340 Cam?

.430/.450 or there abouts, and like Bad Sport said, timing chain and maybe the tensioner front cam plate for added insurance
mopar_timing_chain_tensioner_small.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4452759ac/overview/make/dodge

The cam, lifters and springs. Also too it would be wise to get new retainers and valve locks. That Summit cam is probably the absolute best bang for the buck. I don't think it will quite make the power the 340 cam would, but that's kinda splittin hairs anyway. For the cost, you cannot beat the Summit stuff.

Pushrod length would be my only concern. I personally would check that regardless of what cam I used, especially with the stock, non adjustable, rockers. With that said, the mild Summit cam could very well give you the proper preload with the stock length pieces?

The reason I chose the Summit cam was that it should give you a couple dozen lbs. ft. of torque in the 2000/4000 range vs the stock cam and probably raise your shift point 500 rpm's or so at the top with your intake and carb.

P.S. I know you mentioned "sound"? If that is a real priority, I'd look at one of the small Hughes "Whiplash" grinds. Just be prepared to open your wallet a little wider...:D.

thanks for all the info. I was set to order the summit cam until I you tubed the Whiplash so next is to call Hughes and get some more info.

thanks for all the info. I was set to order the summit cam until I you tubed the Whiplash so next is to call Hughes and get some more info.

250 for the cam alone is probably more then you would spend for everything for the summit cam..lifters..springs and gaskets

While the Whiplash will sound better, the Summit cam will run better, at least with your combination.

I agree with Rob, the 340 cam would be my choice. I've ran this cam and it does not hurt low end torque and pulls strong from idle to about 5500-5800 rpm's. Idles smooth. Mopar Performance sells this cam and lifter package (see summit or Jegs). It's a .455 lift cam.

I was looking at edelbrock. They have the performer plus cam that goes with my performer intake and carb. What about this one?

Here where i'm at right now.....

Leaving the Whiplash aside for the sound, the difference between the Eddy, Summit, and 340 cams are just about a wash as far as performance with your combo, in my opinion. 95% of the time, you'd never know the difference. Out of those 3, the 340 cam may give you a little more of a "broken idle" sound, but in no way will it sound like a "race car". My personal opinion is to go with the most economical of the bunch, whatever that turns out to be? I'd definitely do the springs regardless of which of those 3 cams you may choose, and the 901 Comp springs are a absolute steal for 60ish dollars. Just a aside, i believe the summit grinds are patterned from Crane cams?

They are not just patterned after Crane, Crane actually grinds them.

I have used the Summit 216*/.454 cam kit in 2-360 motors. One of them is in a Charger, driven everyday with 2.94 rear and gets 17-18 mpg. The second is in a 69 Dart with the Summit 2-1/2 dual exhaust kit. Has a real nice sound to it and good power. My $.02

-
Back