1972 dart factory a/c want to convert to 134a

-

lee g

Reaction score
I have all the original equipment other than the condensor which from what I have read is better to go with a parallel flow. My question is how easy is it to get the hoses converted to the barrier hoses? Do they somehow reuse the old steel lines and fittings or is all that replaced with new?
I know classic auto air and vintage auto air have kits out but they are $$$$$$. I would like for it to remain as stock looking as possible so I dont want to convert to the sanden compressor.

I can only speak for one I did. I just switched! I did put a can with compressor oil in it. I was told later that the new 134a reacts to some of the old seals. I never had a problem. Maybe I was just lucky. Oh also I made sure there was no old freon in the system. Take it all out.

I have done over a dozen cars that i evacuated the r12 and recharged with r134 and had zero issues with all the cars , i guess in theory it all the concerns are true , but i think the newer systems are more problematic,

Did you all upgrade the hoses to the barrier hoses or change your condensors to parallel flow?

Well...for me, my compressor went bad. So it had all of the r 12 gone. I bought a new compressor and the 134a oil in the freon and the rest was just freon. I used the guage that came with the one can. And it was still working when I sold it just a couple years ago.

-
Back