1972 Dart Swinger Header

-

62toad

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1972 Dart Swinger with a 318, one of the previous owners seemed to be interested in performance, but I am more interested in a Cruiser/ Road Trip vehicle. The issues are that the car currently has long tube Hooker headers and an 8 Quart Milodon oil pan. Bothe of these are causing clearance issues as they both hang about 3” from the ground. I plan on installing a stock oil pan to eliminate the oil pan clearance problem.

My question is on the headers, based on receipts that came with the car it has a COMP Cams Camshaft with a Duration 268/280 and Lift .477/.480. I know I will lose some Mid and High range performance going to a hugger style headed, but will there be any other problems.

Also does anyone have a suggestion for a Hugger style header for this car.

Thanks

Mike

I wouldn't see how you would have any other problems. I also doubt you'd notice any difference on the street in just driving around like most of us do. Some pretty strong 340's / 360's will still use manifolds.

I don't know of any hugger headers to recommend...someone else will chime in

The Doug's over the centerlink headers are the nicest street headers that I ever used in a SB A body. They fit well, have great clearance and have fat flanges . They are not cheap and cost extra to have coated but IF I ever do a street A body that's what I'd use. Can't argue that factory hp manifolds aren't a good choice either. But at this point a decent set of early ones cost almost as much as the Doug's!

The Doug's over the centerlink headers are the nicest street headers that I ever used in a SB A body. They fit well, have great clearance and have fat flanges . They are not cheap and cost extra to have coated but IF I ever do a street A body that's what I'd use. Can't argue that factory hp manifolds aren't a good choice either. But at this point a decent set of early ones cost almost as much as the Doug's!
I agree i use 340 manifolds or now the Dougs. I never bashed my Hookers but still going Dougs when motor is out since plan on street use.

20230203_013330.jpg

20230203_013609.jpg

I’m thinking of going with a stock cast iron exhaust manifold. Would the following casting numbers fit this engine, 3830204-2 and 3870055. They have a date code of 1976.
1689556834483.png

I’m thinking of going with a stock cast iron exhaust manifold. Would the following casting numbers fit this engine, 3830204-2 and 3870055. They have a date code of 1976.
View attachment 1716115576
Looks to be center and rear exit like my 1973 340 ones.
The head pipes on my 1973 ones are flat and cone on other.
Here's a,shot of them slight port and surfaced by a friends machine shop. For comparison.
Yeah i messed up ported and then coated, then decided to have surface cut so i knew they would be leak free. As you can see hit them on a few passes. But is on back side where finish is cut off. I am an idiot. Was kinda hard to jig it up to cut.
Just make sure you give TTI or Accurate the numbers so they cam make the head pipes right. They should know for sure

Well I have decided to cur out the 20 year old Hooker long tube headers and replace them with Headman Tight Tube headers, already tiered of scraping the ground going in and out of driveways. From what I see the will fit the stock 318 in 72 Swinger with Power Seering without "too many" problems (slight raising of the engine during installation and requiring a mini starter)

Looing for some feedback from others with a similar setup .

Aren't 340/360 different from 273/318's? The exhaust ports are certainly taller on the 340/360, make sure to do your homework.

Thanks for the input. I called Headman and confirmed they will work on a 72 Dart column - shift Automatic only change will be the mini starter. I'll report back how it went after I have them installed.

Couldnt agree more. The Doug’s fit better than any header I have ever had on an A BODY.
Make good power too.

The number of times I have argued, and insisted I'm putting, ( used to be TTI), Doug's long tube headers on a build, promising to install manifolds if the new design headers leak, rattle, or hit speed bumps, cuz they " had headers before that always leaked, yada yada " . . .
Still have the manifolds hanging on the wall, a few more than a dozen sets later , folks need to come into this century .
Just saying .

I recently purchased a 1972 Dart Swinger with a 318, one of the previous owners seemed to be interested in performance, but I am more interested in a Cruiser/ Road Trip vehicle. The issues are that the car currently has long tube Hooker headers and an 8 Quart Milodon oil pan. Bothe of these are causing clearance issues as they both hang about 3” from the ground. I plan on installing a stock oil pan to eliminate the oil pan clearance problem.

My question is on the headers, based on receipts that came with the car it has a COMP Cams Camshaft with a Duration 268/280 and Lift .477/.480. I know I will lose some Mid and High range performance going to a hugger style headed, but will there be any other problems.

Also does anyone have a suggestion for a Hugger style header for this car.

Thanks

Mike
You'll never notice the difference going to a shorty header. People spout off what they've read in magazines and forums for way too long. The simple fact is, you'll never spot the difference. Check out Hedman 78500.

-
Back